Classical Guitar Improvisation

XLR

______

Mic'd with a Schoeps MK41 close up (at about a foot). Originally recorded each gtr with a pair of 41s but I remixed it yesterday, thinning it down to one mic trying for a less thick and more natural sound. Prefer mic'ing further away for a more open sound but this was done a small, acoustically evil room. Heh-heh. :D Let me know what you think.

Tim

Nice man. Very classical and very 'egyptian'. could be a little longer, but if is an impo i suppose youve done great. get it longer. nice track :)

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR
Timothy Lawler said:

Mic'd with a Schoeps MK41 close up (at about a foot). Originally recorded each gtr with a pair of 41s but I remixed it yesterday, thinning it down to one mic trying for a less thick and more natural sound. Prefer mic'ing further away for a more open sound but this was done a small, acoustically evil room. Heh-heh. :D Let me know what you think.

Tim

Tim, that is beautiful!!! Way to short though. I can't say much more than that. Love the tone. I don't sit and listen to classical guitar all day, but could if I had/owned more. It is PEACE. More??????

I will send a PM.
Ed

Reactions: XLR
Another great performance, Tim! Have I told you lately that I hate you? ;)

Great intonation. Sounds like a fingerpicked arpeggio or two in there that almost gets covered up by the other guitar. That's truly amazing!

Thanks guys for listening and all the kind words.

Tifstorey, yeah, it's very short - barely over a minute. It's part of a longer piece that's made up of 17 short improvised duets, and this one's the shortest of the set.

Xfinsterx, the directionless quality is actually intentional... a chain of phrases with no sectional repetition or formal structure. My idea with this was to rely just on sonority, articulation, free melodic shapes, and interplay between the guitars. Guess I needed a short break from the structured style of most of the composed repertoire I play.

7string, you're right... there are a couple spots where one gtr is doing an arpeggio while the other is weaving a line through it, and some cross-string runs that give a similar cascade effect. Thanks for noticing that.

Supercreep and Insightnsound, thanks for the support.

Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
7string, you're right... there are a couple spots where one gtr is doing an arpeggio while the other is weaving a line through it, and some cross-string runs that give a similar cascade effect. Thanks for noticing that.

Tim

My priveledge, sir!

dont usually like modern classical guitar music but the tone on this is so good that i like the song. and its not too weird like a lot of modern music. :D most classical guitar i like is older stuff like Tarrega, sor, albeniz. what kind of guitar is it?

j

jgld said:
what kind of guitar is it?
It's a Lawler guitar - cedar top, indian ros. back and sides. :D Built it in '92.

Thanks for listening jgld.

Tim

Last edited:
That is a great tone...I think you mentioned in a previous post that you place your mic about 1 foot away at the 12th fret...Is that correct?

David, thanks. The mic was about a foot out from the spot midway between the bridge and soundhole, pointing about about 45 deg towards the endblock and about 20 deg upwards, at a height about 4 inches lower than the soundhole. But that mic isn't really too fussy.

It's mate that I ended up not using was positioned just to the left of the soudhole, same distance and ht, and angled to my left. It sounded pretty good too, just a little more emphasis at 3-5 kHz and 100-200 Hz at that spot – kind of a scooped sound. But the R mic (the one on the clip) got a nicer lower midrange and frequency balance so I went with that. If it was a solo I think I'd have used both, panned hard L and R, but it just got too dense in the duet.

Thanks for listening.

Tim

Amazing.....I loved it.......and I'm a metalhead! Seriously, I love this kind of stuff, hope to hear some more sometime.

jgld said:
any way to hear the other parts? interested to listen.
Thanks jgld.... Yeah, there are 3 more sections of the thing on the page linked to in my sig line. Top right of the page, Walk in the Woods of Connecticut.

metalhead28 said:
Amazing.....I loved it.......and I'm a metalhead!
Thanks metalhead - much appreciated. As far as the style difference thing... I know what you mean. It surprised me that after hanging out here a while I developed a taste for styles I hadn't connected with before, and metal’s one of them. I think this forum's unique in that it brings together so many different types of musicians.

Tim

Tim, I could've listened to that for hours. Anytime I click on one of your links, I set my standards pretty high for what I'm expecting to hear out of you...and somehow you still manage to surprise me. Perfect blend of technique and feel.

You mentioned an exposure to different styles...I was thinking that your stuff absolutely would have a place in a progressive rock/metal tune. Ever listen to any Dream Theater, for example? I think it might be a niche worth exploring...if you're ever interested in giving it a shot, I'd love to hear it.

Purge said:
Tim, I could've listened to that for hours. Anytime I click on one of your links, I set my standards pretty high for what I'm expecting to hear out of you...and somehow you still manage to surprise me. Perfect blend of technique and feel.

You mentioned an exposure to different styles...I was thinking that your stuff absolutely would have a place in a progressive rock/metal tune. Ever listen to any Dream Theater, for example? I think it might be a niche worth exploring...if you're ever interested in giving it a shot, I'd love to hear it.

Speaking of Dream Theater, have you seen the DVD of them Live At Budokan? Very well done. My wife was amazed at the blending of styles these guys do. And the guitar work is phenomenol.
Ed

Thanks Purge... and I'll check out Dream Theater.

Ed, thanks for the DVD suggestion. It all sounds pretty interesting. Checked out their site just now.

Thanks for listening guys.

Tim

Back