Classic Rock, AC/DC homage.

Sounds excellent-- You can play pretty good for sure, the solos have real feel.

The only thing I would say is try to give the guitars more 'balls'. They seem a little on the weak side, not sure if just loudening them or playing them harder would achieve this?

Also, after the intro I was thinking "Cause I'm TNT, I'm Dynamite...". Just saying is all :)

P-J, thanks for the compliment and the advice. Boosting some low end on the guitars my do the trick, also they might be a little over compressed. As far as being reminiscent of TNT, well, that was kind of the idea. As long as it's not too blatant.

Thanks,
Jon

jjtcorsair said:
P-J, thanks for the compliment and the advice. Boosting some low end on the guitars my do the trick, also they might be a little over compressed. As far as being reminiscent of TNT, well, that was kind of the idea. As long as it's not too blatant.

Thanks,
Jon
Ah see. There you go. You don't really have to compress distorted guitar. Distortion is sort of a natural compression anyway. Take the compression off and don't boost the low end.

When you use eq, it's better to cut than boost. If I was going to do anything to these guitar tracks, it would be a low-pass filter. I personally think they have enough "balls" as is.

Really, though, the only problem I have with your song is that the vocal is drowned out by the rest of the mix. I know a lot of people are embarrassed by their own recorded voice, but trust me, I've heard worse. You sang in key and didn't try to chipmunk sing like Bon Scott, so kudos for that.

Bring the vocal up a bit (you can compress that) so that it's up front in the mix, and you should be fine.

Lurk-- thanks for the input. I played it back on my Dynaudio's at work today and it cleared some things up for me. My Alesis M1's at home always make me second guess low end. I think P-J has a point about playing harder though.
Thank you too dwkman-- nice to hear it.

jjtcorsair said:
I think P-J has a point about playing harder though.

I used to record with a guitarist who used to play with a feather touch, even when recording the most balls out 'death metal' so this subject is just a little close to home. I think people do this for fear of accidentally clipping the wrong string or something.

Suffice to say I used to play along with him and headbang a bit to get him into the right frame of mind.

Most of the guitarists I've worked with say they play better sitting down. I tend to find with the ones I've worked with although it's not so clean cut, they play with much more gusto and feel when they stand and really 'get into' the music.

I often walk around the room and mosh (?) to the music while I record. If someone came in while I was recording (with headphones) they'd probably call an ambulance (or a psychiatrist) :)

Then again if I was recording classical guitar I'd sit down :)

Back