Christmas Song

robgreen

no face
Had a rare afternoon free last Saturday and so for the first time this year attempted some recording. Actually the first since another Christmas song last year. This is as far as I got with the time I had, don't know how it sounds to anyone.

A dystopian Christmas to one and all! :)

Sounds pretty good so far. Are you going to add more instumentaion and a vocal?

Thanks for listening Jimi. I think it's probably done as far as the arrangement's concerned. I'm struggling a bit for time currently and nobody wants to be working on a Christmas song come January!

There's already a vocal on, though through a vocoder...and sitting very much in the mix rather than out front. Hoped there would be enough to sustain the interest for a fairly short song. Cheers man :)

There's nothing especially christmassy about it. Might want to sprinkle in a few sleigh bells :D

I like it, pretty chill track nice and cruisy. I had it on while I was paying my broadband bill, and then it finished and I realised I was enjoying it, so had to play it again

There's nothing especially christmassy about it. Might want to sprinkle in a few sleigh bells :D

Yeah that's the main problem I'm hearing. I'd never know this was a Christmas song. I do like the groove, though!

Ha, thanks guys. I'm not a huge fan of traditionally Christmassy songs, so it's kinda one on my own terms. I tried to avoid the usual tropes, but thought the Christmas links may have come through a bit more clearly. Firstly, it's all built around a sample of a choir singing God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen that I stretched/slowed/reverbed/layered to make an ambient type soundbed to build the tune around., and secondly, the vocals are the story of a family's attempt to recreate the magic of Christmas for their children in a post-apocalyptic future...

Glad it sounded ok either way though. Thanks again Bulls and Nola, I appreciate you taking the time to listen and share your thoughts :)

This is pretty cool. I like the groove.

I like the little keyboard/synth-y thing on the left. I like mechanized vocal.

The bass is a little thumpy and indistinct. If you have a low end boost, I'd take it out. I'd roll off some of the very low end. Like below 50hz.

Cymbals were slightly dull. Just slightly. Maybe a high shelf at 6K or so? Just a db or two.

This is pretty cool. I like the groove.

I like the little keyboard/synth-y thing on the left. I like mechanized vocal.

The bass is a little thumpy and indistinct. If you have a low end boost, I'd take it out. I'd roll off some of the very low end. Like below 50hz.

Cymbals were slightly dull. Just slightly. Maybe a high shelf at 6K or so? Just a db or two.

Hi Trip, thanks for listening and sorry about the delay replying. Glad it generally sounded ok - it was a quick effort so not surprised about any rough edges. Re. the bass, I was playing some Smashing Pumpkins with my band last year and kinda liked how the bass on Cherub Rock was a bit loose and rumbly on that. I kinda pushed in that direction with the bass as a drone before it resolves into the riff, but maybe went a bit far.

Good point on the cymbals - I'm still trying to find a happy medium with EZ Drummer dirtying up the sterile stock sound without making them too dull.

Thanks again man :)

Back