Christmas Project Song - First Song Posting...

PoeticIntensity

MagicJones.com (is a website)
So I'm biting the bullet and finally posting one of my babies. I didn't write the song, but I recorded, mixed, and mastered it. It's a tune about the journey of the shepherds toward Bethlehem.

It's my first attempt at Mid/Side recording of acoustic guitar, and definitely the first time I've ever tried to record anything like this before. As you'll see, it's quite eclectic. It's a part of a theme-based Christmas album me and a friend are producing to give away as gifts this year.

Have at it, and thanks in advance for taking the time to listen and critique.

pretty cool. Just a couple comments:

1) the low note of the guitar kind of sounds like a harpsichord. Are you picking really close to the bridge?

2) The lead vocals hanging out on the right is a bit distracting. I'd stick those in the center and make the choir wider.

pretty cool. Just a couple comments:

1) the low note of the guitar kind of sounds like a harpsichord. Are you picking really close to the bridge?

2) The lead vocals hanging out on the right is a bit distracting. I'd stick those in the center and make the choir wider.

1. Yeah... That low note stands out like a sore thumb, especially since it's played so much repetitively. I've gotta keep working on that. I'm not the guitarist, and I wasn't watching him play, so I don't know how he was playing it.

2. Agreed. The lead vocals were supposed to be a bit deeper in the mix. Sort of mixed with the choir in a left / right config, but I think you may be right. Setting up a center vocal with wide choir would sound better.

Thanks for your reply!

I agree with the vocal comments. Big choir, centered vocals would be better.

I think the acoustic guitar sounds great. I don't know anything about acoustics, but it sounds good to me. That low note doesn't bother me.

The bass is a little aggressive when it comes in with the kick and cymbal crashes. I think it can come down considerably. The vocals during that end piece are too loud too. The drums in general don't match the hugeness of that ending. The crashes are a little loud while the rest of the banging is buried. I'm wanting to hear big thunderous toms and a kick crushing my chest, but it just aint happening. It's close though. Keep working with it.

I agree with the vocal comments. Big choir, centered vocals would be better.

I think the acoustic guitar sounds great. I don't know anything about acoustics, but it sounds good to me. That low note doesn't bother me.

The bass is a little aggressive when it comes in with the kick and cymbal crashes. I think it can come down considerably. The vocals during that end piece are too loud too. The drums in general don't match the hugeness of that ending. The crashes are a little loud while the rest of the banging is buried. I'm wanting to hear big thunderous toms and a kick crushing my chest, but it just aint happening. It's close though. Keep working with it.

Man, comments like that coming from the infamous Gerg means this song is golden! haha... I seriously waited about 5 minutes, getting myself ready for the possible onslaught when I saw it was you replying.

Anyway... Thanks for the comments, man. I should completely re-record the drums on that last part, because my kick mic was placed about 6 inches on the outside of the non-batter head, so there's some serious beef, but no slap on it at all. Good call on the toms. I've gotta give em' some presence.

I'll work on that tonight. Thanks, again.

Cool, a prog-rock Xmas song, now that's original....;)
Guess the guys already treated the issues, Jason, if any. Now if that bass was accompanied by beefy distorted guitars, it wouldn't stand out so much.:D
Nice work and interesting song!

Joey :):):):)

Cool, a prog-rock Xmas song, now that's original....;)
Guess the guys already treated the issues, Jason, if any. Now if that bass was accompanied by beefy distorted guitars, it wouldn't stand out so much.:D
Nice work and interesting song!

Joey :):):):)

Thanks for the recommendation, Joey. It's both good to know, and maddening, that my initial instincts seems to be right on. Good to know, because, well, that's a good thing. Maddening, because I don't trust them, and didn't follow them. I knew I should have tracked the distorted guitar twice, possibly thrice - yet I didn't, and now the amp / guitar / musician is gone. bah.

Thanks again, Joey, and glad ya liked the song! It's going in an alternative Christmas album to give out as a gift this year!

Just a thought, but, since I can't play it, and don't even have one, would anyone care to see if they can beef up the guitar part?

I really can't offer anything that's not been said already.
I don't mind the harpischordish bass note from the acoustic but if others find it irritating you might deal with it.
The bass does come on a bit strong - as a bassist I quite like a chance to shine but Joey is right beefy gitz would give the bass a real place.
Nice ideas and well captured.
Sounds like you'll have to learn guitar!
Cool stuff all in all.

Back