Chris Isaak - Wicked Game (Sincerely looking for feedback)

Julia Ko

Hi everyone! I am totally a newbie to recording and please forgive me if I cannot catch up with specific terms (i will definitely look it up!)

So I've recently recorded an acoustic version for Chris Isaak's Wicked Game.
There are 2 tracks, 1 for guitar and 1 for vocal and I did it seperately.
The equipment I am using right now is Focusrite Scarlett Studio 2i2 (the old red set). So for the guitar track, I directly connect the guitar with the inteface (mine is an electric acoustic guitar). For the vocal track I used the mic from the Scarlett Studio set.

The problem I have is that the sound seems a bit... sharp and kind of tiring to hear.

For the mixed version please find it here:

For the original tracks please find them here: Wicked Game – Google Drive

Sincerely looking for feedback and thanks in advance!!

You are extremely talented and I just love your vocals! I played around with your audio for just a few mins. If you like it I will send you the wav version as well as a detailed video of what I did. I would also like to get your permission to use your audio on my other sites as well. Either way, you still get the video. ;-). Make sure you have your headphones when you listen.

View attachment 100692

Last edited:
The problem I have is that the sound seems a bit... sharp and kind of tiring to hear.

I agree.
Without knowing your entire setup it's hard to say why, but it has that classic "digital" sound to it. Almost sounds like the guitar has a pickup and is plugged into the preamp. Did you do that, or is it mic'd?

Hi Mack,

Thank you for the mixing! The effect is great and the vocal sounds much better. However, it seems that the guitar and vocal is a bit out of sync.

For the permission and video, maybe we can chat in details with private message :) Thanks again!

I agree.
Without knowing your entire setup it's hard to say why, but it has that classic "digital" sound to it. Almost sounds like the guitar has a pickup and is plugged into the preamp. Did you do that, or is it mic'd?

Since I have an interface (the one below), I directly plug in my electric acoustic guitar to the interface, which is then linked to the laptop with usb port.

81KkASk--ML._SL1500_.jpg

There's no additional setting for the guitar.

Since I have an interface (the one below), I directly plug in my electric acoustic guitar to the interface, which is then linked to the laptop with usb port.

Yes, that's exactly what it sounded like to me: a guitar with a pickup plugged into a preamp. So you get that nasty "instrument level" sound from the pickup directly into the pre. What you need to do is mic the acoustic in a room -- don't use the acoustic's pickup. Plug the mic into the preamp not the guitar. Then mic the guitar. Point the mic where the neck meets the body to start and move it as desired.

Then it won't sound so brittle and nasty.

Yes, that's exactly what it sounded like to me: a guitar with a pickup plugged into a preamp. So you get that nasty "instrument level" sound from the pickup directly into the pre. What you need to do is mic the acoustic in a room -- don't use the acoustic's pickup. Plug the mic into the preamp not the guitar. Then mic the guitar. Point the mic where the neck meets the body to start and move it as desired.

Then it won't sound so brittle and nasty.

Thank you for the advice! I will try this next time when I record a song. :)
What do you think about the vocal? Is it because the pitch is too high that I found it a bit sharp to listen or there's something to do with the mixing/ effects?

Thank you for the advice! I will try this next time when I record a song. :)
What do you think about the vocal? Is it because the pitch is too high that I found it a bit sharp to listen or there's something to do with the mixing/ effects?

I thought the vocal was pretty good. It's a little breathy and trying to be overly emotional instead of giving a natural emotional feeling. But in terms of pitch and timbre it sounds good.

It sounded better recorded, too, so I assume you did a traditional setup and sang into the mic. Make sure on the preamp (or in the software) you set it for "mic level" and not instrument level. Also make sure your levels are all okay (in the green on the Focusrite preamp knob).

I thought the vocal was pretty good. It's a little breathy and trying to be overly emotional instead of giving a natural emotional feeling. But in terms of pitch and timbre it sounds good.

It sounded better recorded, too, so I assume you did a traditional setup and sang into the mic. Make sure on the preamp (or in the software) you set it for "mic level" and not instrument level. Also make sure your levels are all okay (in the green on the Focusrite preamp knob).

Thank you for the comment! I will surely pay attention to my breathing and emotional expression next time :D

Hi Mack,

Thank you for the mixing! The effect is great and the vocal sounds much better. However, it seems that the guitar and vocal is a bit out of sync.

For the permission and video, maybe we can chat in details with private message :) Thanks again!

Cool. Hit me up when you want to proceed.

Back