Chris Harris

powderfinger

Chris Harris cover

Alright,

First off, Chris, thanks for letting me do the cover.......great song.......that's the thing I like about covers....when you record them, you know you're recording a good song.....when you record your own, you have to assume and hope that the song you are recording is good.........

The song is Chris' "Every Chance I Get"

Track explaination-
1. Piano is the main instrument.......I'm just trying to teach myself to play and have never recorded one before...so be leniant here

2. If it sounds like tape hiss at the beggining it's because it is tape hiss.....my piano is in another room, so I used my mixer into a tape deck....then i dumped that track into cakewalk.....so i guess it has an analog foundation, but everything else is digital....also, I only had access to one mic to record everything....so no stereo on the piano........

That's it............enjoy..........thanks Chris......

"Every Chance I get"

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1642&alid=154

Last edited:
My compliments. You captured the essence of the tune and its really perty damned good. That hook is strong, the tunes builds right into it dont it? :) Very good tune to work with.

shit my whole first post went poof.....???

ok ...this is really good...the guitar sound is really nice...the piano ...not sure about...the playing is fine its the quality of the sound...but i digress....THIS IS A GREAT VERSION....jeez it almost sounds like it was your dad ....vocals hauntingly good....well i WAS doing this song too....lol...but i think ill just save that for another day.......

excellent ..chris is "gigging" tonight but when he gets back im sure he'll love it...

..i do..

jamal

Last edited:
Hey Powder,
Nice job man. This was a good choice for a cover. This IS A GREAT song. Its one of those songs that sounds like it wrote itself i 15 minutes. Very natural changes. Just plain excellent.
One of my favorites here.
Doing it w/ piano was a good choice too. .....Nice job man.....

.....and Chris, GREAT SONG!!!!
g

While "old yeller" is still my fav song;) , this is my second favorite song Chris does. this had alot of great feeling to it powderfinger..damn fine job man.

Good performance, good song, good sound. :)

The mix: maybe bring the vocal down a bit, since it's got all that reverb on it, it sounds a bit out of proportion to the guitar and piano. If the vocal was drier, you could get away with I bet. :D

What a nice song. He *do* write a good song, don't he?

Brave tune. I like wide open stuff like this and your singing didn't let it down. Good job.

Good song Chris

very nice...

i love this tune.

wow.

ive never heard the original version, but this was really nice...

the vocals are loaded with style... and the soaking wet reverb really worked on this one for me... even the loose tracking and imperfections in the vocal pitch added to the impressive effect of this tune..

well done..

-alex

Thanks for listening everyone....I'm glad I've seemed to have done it justice........now of we can only get the damn writer of the song to get off his ass and listen:D

powderfinger said:
Thanks for listening everyone....I'm glad I've seemed to have done it justice........now of we can only get the damn writer of the song to get off his ass and listen:D
I don't know what to say. (It's rare, but it happens)... This song is so personal to me...most of them aren't, but this one is, and I fucking cried when I heard this...(in case I'm not making sense, that's a huge compliment). Granted, I played until 2 this morning, packed the gear and left Houston by 3:30 and got home about 20 minutes ago, SO I'M A LITTLE ON THE TIRED SIDE, but that's not why it broke me up...it's just very cool and real. Thanks a million for this. *sniff*...I'll be fine, lol. cool.

well, great tune, from a great writer, a great cover, from a great musician=a super job. Thanks.

Sounds really good. I love the piano - the natural reverb is excellent.
The acoustic playing is really nice. I would sacrifice a little of the sound quality to try to get them sounding more in the same room as the piano, probably with reverb and letting the low frequencies come through. It's really surprisingly close given the different ways you recorded, but the left speaker acoustic sounds a little too much in a different room. Vocals sound great.

I don't know the original - but after hearing two good covers (yours and Jamal's), I should go check it out.

Man Drew,that was fine!
Something about a real piano,just does it.
Makes you really feel the song,and brings out Chris's fine writing skills.

Nice job on the vocals,perfect.

Thanks for sharing it,I enjoyed it very much,
Pete

powderfinger said:
So how was H-town? (that's where i'm from)........Where did you play at?
We played at the Crooked Ferret...Jones Rd. & 1960. You know, it struck me as very funny when I drove up and saw the marquee

"CROOKED FERRET"
Tonight
[HONEST MANGO]

If I didn't know better, I'd swear that a band called "Honest Mango" playing at "The Crooked Ferret" would signify a gay bar, lol.

Back