Choices

GONZO-X

https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/choices

a tune that feels like modern and classic all at once.
Acoustic guitar, Electric guitar blend.
3 part vocal harmony.
rocking live drums.

i'm thinking the electric guitar (rhythm) part is a bit too heavy in the 750-1000hz range.
i'm ok with everything else...
do you like it as is, or would you eq a bit of the high mid out of the guitars?

this is a mastered, final mix that i may re-mix as a re-release effort on a previous album.

I think you're obsessing. It sounds done to me. I really like the changeups between the electrics, the acoustics, the voices. Good craft.

Nicely done....the playing is clean-n-tight.
No real gripes about the mix.
The drums initially sounded much dryer than the guitars/vocals/etc.....but once the song kick in they blended in, but that's a taste thing.

dobro

thanks for listening and commenting..

well, i don't think it's 'obsessing' so much as it is that i'm still learning, and getting better.

it's great to get feedback on first impressions from others, just to see where my own thoughts sit

Yeah, I don't think someone who mixes has really arrived until you learn to stop mistrusting your own ears and assessments. I think at the point when you can say 'Why would I want to ask anyone else what they think of this mix?' you're a person who probably isn't posting stuff on this page. But pages like this one help you get there - it's very cool to see what other people hear.

rayc-
thanks for listening...
i figured that some would just dig that electric tone, and others it would grate on em.....
of course, sometimes that's the whole point!!
heheh

miroslav
thanks for listening!

i can't remember if i did any automation on the drum effects or not..
probably not, this was mostly a faders up mix, with me manually riding the vocals.

i think i prefer dryer drum mixes, it tends to not date them as much as a lot of mixes i've heard.

but if i do the remix to crank the drums, i'll try the overheads, bring them out a bit more, maybe add a touch of hall to the snare and see if that opens the feel up a little more.

it's a good experiment to try

Geeez.......now that's really well done and produced. Listened through 3 times just to get it all in. Sort of "Who" like to me:) If there's something amiss......I couldn't hear it. Thanks for the listen!!

Back