Chmod II

Music Box

Hi! I want some comments on the tune, especially on the chorus which I have changed some . the original chorus is the first time chorus comes. I might rework the whole tune a bit or just move on. It is an older tune, tried to improve it because I kind of like it. I think new version of the chorus is better but not sure. Mix i will change also with the help of your your tips. https://soundcloud.com/madrigal7/chmod-ii

Very smooth synth bass, I like it. Drums are on the low side. I'm going to say about the lead synth what I usually do. Patch seems generic. There is more attention to phrasing here than in some of the others, but I'm going to opine that you could go farther still. I'm still hearing sections where the lead synth seems like it is playing just to fill space, doing that energizer bunny thing. No chance of a vocal melody taking over part of the synth line?

Very smooth synth bass, I like it. Drums are on the low side. I'm going to say about the lead synth what I usually do. Patch seems generic. There is more attention to phrasing here than in some of the others, but I'm going to opine that you could go farther still. I'm still hearing sections where the lead synth seems like it is playing just to fill space, doing that energizer bunny thing. No chance of a vocal melody taking over part of the synth line?
Thank you Robus for your review. It saddens me a bit that everybody hates my favorite sound. You are not the only one who don't like it. It is a 'custom' fm8 patch made by me from another patch. I tried to make alterations that would have improved the tune but time ran out. Also I don't know a vocalist that could do this kind of stuff. I wish I knew. Maybe next week I go back where my laptop is and I can try to improve it again.

What does this have to do with setting permissions in a *nix file system?! :D

I generally agree with Robus' comments here. The lead synth isn't bad, but it's not really attention-grabbing either.
I do like the "flute" sound that comes in later tho.

I don't know a vocalist that could do this kind of stuff.
You wouldn't be the first board member to resort to vocaloid if you chose that route!

+1 for bumping the drums up a bit too.

I think it might help the song to have less bass, just lower volume. Seems to obscure the rest of the arrangement. And bring the drums up maybe? Songwise I wonder if adding some stuff with sharper attack to play with the synths will give the song more momentum. The synths are nice but I feel like they need an accent, just like a mallet playing the same part or something.

What does this have to do with setting permissions in a *nix file system?! :D

I generally agree with Robus' comments here. The lead synth isn't bad, but it's not really attention-grabbing either.
I do like the "flute" sound that comes in later tho.

You wouldn't be the first board member to resort to vocaloid if you chose that route!

+1 for bumping the drums up a bit too.
Thank you Steve for your comment. I just thought it would BE a attention grabbing name so chose it. I will try to fix it and look for a cheap vocal thingy IF there is one. I am not exactly made of money.

I think it might help the song to have less bass, just lower volume. Seems to obscure the rest of the arrangement. And bring the drums up maybe? Songwise I wonder if adding some stuff with sharper attack to play with the synths will give the song more momentum. The synths are nice but I feel like they need an accent, just like a mallet playing the same part or something.
Thank you easlern. The mix is pretty bad I agree. I will try and see IF I get the chance to improve this tune. I already have other stuff cooking so I might concentrate on another tune entirely.

Oh no not bad, that's not being fair to yourself. I had more notes about the song than the mix.

Oh no not bad, that's not being fair to yourself. I had more notes about the song than the mix.
Well for me that the song is not good is even worse. Time for another tune. This time I will try make an extra effort on the melody front. Melodies have always been the most important part of the tune for me. Thanks again for commenting.

Back