Chavez -- Unreal is Here (Cover). Need help!

4tracker

Hey guys,

Can you give me some feedback on this recording and mix? It's a cover...Chavez were in the indie/lo-fi genre in the 1990s, so keep that in mind (we don't have mainstream aspirations -- just my lady and I doing a cover). One of my buddies felt the vocal wasn't good, but I like it, so I'm looking for some objective feedback. Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/4-tracker-1/chavez-unreal-is-here

Last edited:
Cool song...I have to agree with you buddy on vocals. Technical wise the volume/presence change is pretty noticeable like she is moving closer to and then further away from the mic. Performance wise is "ok" until the harmony comes in. Its off.

Depending on what mic your using for vox, I would move her back from it and try again. I listened to your other song "Trouble in Mind". Its a better performance and its seems more consistent. Not sure if you have the ability but a touch of reverb would probably help too.

Agree with Bruthish on the vocal. In addition I'm hearing a pitch problem here and there. Especially in the backing vocal as he said, but smaller spots elsewhere.

The vocal sounds like it's two feet away and the instruments sound like they're 25 feet away.

Levels are very inconsistent.

The piano/keyboard/synth (not sure what) sounded out of tune. Especially on that last little bit at the very end.

I'm hearing some hiss here and there.

Hm, okay. Strange I am not hearing it the same way. I'm usually super critical of my lady's vocals, but I liked this take for some reason.

Triple, what do you mean levels are inconsistent? The vocal levels go up and down?

Mostly the vocal. There was another instance or two with an instrument - think it was the keyboard. Sorry - can't relisten at the moment.
For me it just sounds like she is moving closer to the mic in parts. Even moving closer 3" can change the sound of the vocals. If she is not already doing it, have her sit completely still while singing concentrating on not moving her head. Pop filters also help prevent movement. The farther away from the mic she is, the less noticeable a couple inches of movement will be. If she is a dynamic singer, farther away is better.

For me the backing tracking sounds kind of lo-fi, garagey, while the vocals are trying to be something different, maybe more modern and don't fit in with the backing. They're are also much much louder than the rest of the track. I would take them down quite a bit to make them blend better.

I quite liked the vocal performance though. Pleasant voice. :thumbs up:

For me the backing tracking sounds kind of lo-fi, garagey, while the vocals are trying to be something different, maybe more modern and don't fit in with the backing. They're are also much much louder than the rest of the track. I would take them down quite a bit to make them blend better.

I quite liked the vocal performance though. Pleasant voice. :thumbs up:

I agree all around with this comment. I'll rework a few things over the next few days. I also agree with the comment above she might have moved from the mic a little.

Back