The "CHALLENGE" thread.

I've had the Australian equiv since 1978 when I attended a protest movie viewing of an anti nuke film, (I think it was called The Morning After or similar - made by the BBC to essay the actual aftermath of a bomb on London. It was quite accurate & so distressing that the UK & Aust Govts canned it as they wanted nukes without opposition - it's available on DVD & Pbay these days), that had been banned by the Federal Govt. We signed in so that ASIO wouldn't have to work too hard to get our details. When I was elected to the executive of our state union I think they upgraded me a little. ASIO weren't & still aren't very clever: they built new premises in the nation's capitol - contracted a Chinese firm to do the work and now haven't moved in because the place, obviously, is bugged every which way.

I'm not allowed to even hum in my house. My wife says I'm so cloth eared I annoy the bees.

I was joking about the Feds... my songs have plenty of gratuitous violence against people who do stuff like drive too slowly in front of me, but I have no real political leanings, so I would imagine I'm not on any "lists". Your story is a surprise to me, though... I had no idea the Aussie government ever pulled shit like that. Banning some freaking anti-nuke video? From how you describe it, I would imagine the video itself is something I'd consider left-wing agitprop and I'd probably spend the whole time watching it talking shit about hippies, commies, etc, but the idea of a government banning something like that is reprehensible. And that they put you on some sort of list is even worse.

The Chinese don't believe in intellectual property, you know, so they might not understand why you would have a problem with the bugs. They believe they have as much right to ANY information as anyone else, regardless of where it comes from. They're good at buying American trucks, Japanese TVs, etc., having a team of engineers strip them apart, learning the technology and mass-producing the exact same product for their population (or even for export, as in the case of TVs). Now THAT's how you run a company... imagine the savings in R&D when you can just steal technology. I can't tell if they're just being good commies or if they're being genius capitalists.

What country are you from? I want to know what country QUITTERS come from. I can tell you're not American. We see through everything to the bitter end, no matter how stupid the thing is we're doing. But we don't quit!

Schwarzenegger wouldn't quit.

I come from a country that started two World Wars and wasn't able to finish them.
Quitting runs in the genes.

The movie was actually made by the BBC for the British Govt. as an educational tool but proved so accurate & horrifying that they banned it & didn't use it.

The movie was actually made by the BBC for the British Govt. as an educational tool but proved so accurate & horrifying that they banned it & didn't use it.

Be careful what you ask for, I suppose. Next time maybe they'll have a script for them to follow. :)

In which the MP3 Mixing Clinic forum users challenge each other to produce worthy versions of existing tracks.

The idea is to challenge/inspire people to either trash, pay homage to with their own version, or slavishly recreate existing classic recordings.

Hopefully, we will introduce people to new genres that they never knew existed and widen their horizons.

I issue the first challenge -

NotThatBright - I challenge you to produce a version of "Shot By Both Sides" by British band Magazine.

Go to it. :)

I finally picked up another boom stand I can use for the second overhead, so this will be my first recording using the RECORDERMAN technique.

Jesus! This is like making me fight with a knife at a duel with pistols. Fine, make the kid do it. Just don't tell him that this song is for any sort of "challenge", though... or else you'll have to explain that dad is CHEATING! :)

This isn't a competition, you intellectual-on-the-quiet, it's an attempt at broadening our horizons, getting a bit of community spirit and banter going and perhaps firing more people up into recording something. You can think of Frank as my drum machine, if it helps. :D

By the way, I assume you've checked out the track I've challenged you with and you've seen it's well within your capabilities.

I have to learn how to play like Lemmy.

Then I have to find a souped-up Marshall Plexi, a 4x15 guitar cab and a Rickenbacker bass guitar.

You should know by now that I never do things by halves.

This isn't a competition, you intellectual-on-the-quiet, it's an attempt at broadening our horizons, getting a bit of community spirit and banter going and perhaps firing more people up into recording something. You can think of Frank as my drum machine, if it helps. :D

I know that, I was just busting your balls. I'll try to channel some Frank-style drumming into this one. :)

I finally picked up another boom stand I can use for the second overhead, so this will be my first recording using the RECORDERMAN technique.

I never realised you had equipment limitations. :D That's a cheap upgrade, a boom stand. Unless you bought a decent K & M one. :D

I never realised you had equipment limitations. :D That's a cheap upgrade, a boom stand. Unless you bought a decent K & M one. :D

It's a matter of remembering, and then finding time to do it during regular business hours for most stores. As luck would have it, there is a little guitar shop about a half-mile from the bar I was at today. When I was driving I remembered this, and I thought... BOOM STAND! FUCKIN' A! :)

By the way, I assume you've checked out the track I've challenged you with and you've seen it's well within your capabilities.

Sure, I can pull it off. I can pull off just about anything, as long I can dumb it down to my level. They are playing real guitar chords, hopefully it sounds alright with power chords. I won't be playing any organ, though. I like the song. Something about the sound reminded me a little bit of TSOL... has a bit of a "scary" feeling to it, for lack of a proper term.

Bubba said:
I have to learn how to play like Lemmy.

Then I have to find a souped-up Marshall Plexi, a 4x15 guitar cab and a Rickenbacker bass guitar.

You should know by now that I never do things by halves.

I like the way you think. Don't forget, he plays the bass like a guitar, with lots of chords. It sounds good if you get the right tone.

I challenge Greg to do the Lion King soundtrack in it's entirety.

I wanna hear a fat_fleet take on Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time. Now that could be special...

It would be kinda handy if someone challenged me to produce a cover of Elvis Costello's Shipbuilding. Anything else might be a stretch at present.

I wanna hear a fat_fleet take on Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time. Now that could be special...

It would be kinda handy if someone challenged me to produce a cover of Elvis Costello's Shipbuilding. Anything else might be a stretch at present.

Hey, Rob - why don't you do us a cover of Elvis Costello's "Shipbuilding"?

Hey, Rob - why don't you do us a cover of Elvis Costello's "Shipbuilding"?

Ah, that's a great suggestion Bubba - I think I'm familiar with that tune :thumbs up:

Just give me a while to find it on my hard dr...umm...I mean learn it, record it and mix it...

Back