Cha La Head Cha La - Glam rock ft. VHS and Greg_L

I love the song, I didn't know it. I think the chorus vocals sound very good. Yeah, I hear the timing issues too. That is going to be a PITA to fix.
Also, your website is awesome. I love the photo, the font of the band's name, and your description and bios are hilarious. Nice work!

Thanks Rob and Jess.

Yeah, the vocalist is working on getting some recording gear set up at his place. Once he finishes that, I may just tell him to retrack it until he gets it right on his own time. :D

It's possible the lyrics are too dense (y'know translated Japanese prog and all). I always have trouble hearing that sort of thing since I'm pretty used to keeping the lyrics dense.

Hmmm... again with the timing...

Mix 13: Cha La Head Cha La | Lipstick

We rather drastically reconfigured the vocals, including tracking a new lead line, completely swapping out the reverb, and turning most of the BGvox up.

Most of the rest of the instruments are relatively unchanged.

Vocals are very clear and forward, which is good. The vocals, backing especially, really seem to jump out in the chorus. I guess that's what you were looking for. Don't really have much more to add. What parts are you playing?

Thanks, Robus. With this mix, we were experimenting with the back-and-forth lead/gang vocals thing a little. I noticed a lot of (especially 80s) glam seems to do that.

I'm bgvox, bass, and a few touches of guitar.

Last edited:
I'm a bit late here, and I know this has been said a lot already, but what really sticks out to me is the timing. It sounds like either the drums can't quite hang, or the guitars are rushing (I think it's the latter). Or maybe the drums are sitting right on the beat and should be a little ahead of it, pushing things a little bit. I'm not sure what the culprit is, if there is only one culprit. The groove just isn't locked in, performance-wise. The vocal seems like it should bigger, for glam. I like the amount of reverb or whatever you have that's giving the vocal its space. I think that's perfect. It just needs to be maybe a little louder, and with more oomph (limiter, maybe?). Overall, nice sound on everything. I just think the groove is critical to the success of this track.

Thanks, Paul.

(I just uploaded another mix, by the way, but the only change is a slight bump to the vox in the chorus. Cha La Head Cha La | Lipstick)

I could look into more compression on the vox. That might emphasize the "karaoke" effect people mentioned before tho.

Haven't read any other comments so apologies for any repeats. First off reaction is this doesn't sound like VHS. Not nearly chaotic enough. OK Greg is on drums, there will be some kind of order, so thats understandable. Then I hear Eddie Van Halen playing. Its 1984. Now the groove starts. I Like it it, reminds me of the tubes, backword principle. The combination of VHS meets Greg works very well. It's like it disproves the second law of thermodynamics

Haven't read any other comments so apologies for any repeats. First off reaction is this doesn't sound like VHS. Not nearly chaotic enough. OK Greg is on drums, there will be some kind of order, so thats understandable. Then I hear Eddie Van Halen playing. Its 1984. Now the groove starts. I Like it it, reminds me of the tubes, backword principle. The combination of VHS meets Greg works very well. It's like it disproves the second law of thermodynamics

Best post in this thread. :)

Thanks BH. It's my glam band. They won't let me get as weird as I normally do. I have to "leave space" for the "lead guitarist" and other musicians who "know how to play their instruments" and "aren't computers." :D

Back