CD Order

dsealer

Not sure if this is where this post should go. Someone can move it if that's a must.

Has anyone experienced this:
I burned some original songs on a cd, All MP3's. I set them in a particular order and printed that order on the CD. When finished I played the CD on my computer and it all sound ok and In The Correct Order.

Here's the problem;
I played the CD in my car and it played in alphabetical order
Played it again on my computer (Media Player) and it played the songs in the correct order
Played the CD again on my computer using different software and it played in alphabetical order
Played the CD on my computer at work and it played the songs in the correct order

I don't understand what's happening. I've made dozens of cds in the past, both with original songs and of other people's music and never had this happen.

I burned the CD using Media Player as I've done many, many times in the past.

Can anyone help me understand what is going on with this?
Thanks,
Don.....

Is it possible it's an issue with the devices playing the CD and not the CD itself? Are those devices set to play in an order other than numerically?

Also, what are the official names of the files burned onto the CD? For example -

"1. Song 1"

...or...

"Song 1"

That might make a difference.

MP3s are in actuality data files, not audio files you would find on commercial CDs. Your different devices manage data files differently.

Most likely you're burning a Data CD-R rather than an Audio CD-R. You may need to select a different option in your software or use different software. Ideally, use the Disc at Once method.

Generally you want to burn an "Audio" CD, starting with non-compressed files instead of MP3s. The only reason to burn MP3s to a data/MP3 CD (IMO) are if you have too many songs to fit on an audio CD. You can still burn an audio CD from MP3s, but the quality will be different than if you bounced your original music to a non-compressed file. (This must all be in a sticky somewhere.)

If you are burning an MP3 CD, did you include track number information in the ID3 tag data? That might make a difference on some players so include it in the ID tag data. And, as others suggested, name the files with the track number leading, like 01 My Song #1, etc. Then alphabetic will be correct and solve the problem for most if not all players.

Thanks everyone. I never thought that the file type would determine how the CD is played. Though I haven't proven that is the cause it seems to make perfect sense. I was putting a CD together of some original songs so I could pass it on to friends who are going to record some parts in the songs. MP3 seemed the way to do that.
Thanks everyone,
Don.....

I was putting a CD together of some original songs so I could pass it on to friends who are going to record some parts in the songs. MP3 seemed the way to do that.
Thanks everyone,

Yes, that's a good way to pass along your audio files, just don't expect it to behave like a regular CD. You might also consider using a file sharing site like dropbox or google drive, if you have the bandwidth to upload in a reasonable amount of time.

Kinda off topic here... when I did collaborations in the past, I used MP3s. I asked my collaborators to render their contributions to 320kbps MP3s to send to me. It is a lot less payload than a full wav file and doesn't really sound any different when placed in a mix. When you are in the US and your collaborator is in Brazil, sharing online makes more sense. :)

Back