Can't get to Oz first mix

Hmm... I'm not a fan of the vocal effects. It's not a natural-sounding reverb and gets pretty tiresome. (Dumping obvious effects on vox tends to have a pretty limited shelf-life IMO)

The bass dominates the whole mix, drums are weak in comparison. I'm with Steve on the vocal delay/reverb effect - if you're going for a 'Weird Al' sound, the vocals need to come up in the mix so the words can be discerned better.

I like the bass part (reminds me of McCartney) and the song, but I'd like to hear a clean Tele in there with some reverb and tremolo to balance the vocal effect.

I thought the bass sounded OK.

The drum machine/programming was a bit simplistic.

For some reason I didn't mind the stereo effects on the vocal. But I'm betting most people wouldn't like it. Kind of an effect that was put in "because you could" instead of having a reason for it.

The strings that were providing the accents sounded OK. But the part sort of seemed out of place. All of a sudden there's this big orchestra that comes out of nowhere, plays a couple of notes, then goes away.

I thought the bass sounded OK.

The drum machine/programming was a bit simplistic.

For some reason I didn't mind the stereo effects on the vocal. But I'm betting most people wouldn't like it. Kind of an effect that was put in "because you could" instead of having a reason for it.

The strings that were providing the accents sounded OK. But the part sort of seemed out of place. All of a sudden there's this big orchestra that comes out of nowhere, plays a couple of notes, then goes away.

Agree with everything here. particularly the "big orchestra hit". it was a bit awkward and not for this song, unless you're going for a trip-tastic recording. I would have liked to hear the synth making the warbly-held note do some of the lead once in awhile...get it off that single held note and play some harmonies with it, especially at the end of the song, like you do during the chord change in the verse. A little more kick would be nice, it seems that there are some cymbals hits that feel weak because the kick is low...it sounds like just a cymbal with nothing under it. (a no-no).

It's got it's good points - it's an original type of song/mix. The vocal reverb is too strong for me though but it has a super nice tone. The rest is ok - I think with something like this it's quite subjective....

Back