Can someone sing this? I don't like my voice.

cynicalworm

I write and record all the music from my home studio. I just can't sing well..
If anyone who listens to this song is interested, the full album is up at cdbaby.com/cynicalworm

I have a whole new album I'm recording, but have been hesitant to lay down any vocals cause I hate my voice (like most do I guess)..

If interested in singing, email me at jewder@gmail.com
Thanks for any input.

Drew
Cynical Worm

Attachments

• Leave It Labeled.mp3
    9.3 MB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:
I write and record all the music from my home studio. I just can't sing well..
If anyone who listens to this song is interested, the full album is up at cdbaby.com/cynicalworm

I have a whole new album I'm recording, but have been hesitant to lay down any vocals cause I hate my voice (like most do I guess)..

If interested in singing, email me at jewder@gmail.com
Thanks for any input.

Drew
Cynical Worm

Little clarification: I'm looking for a singer for my new album. (not the album that this song is from) This is to give you an idea of the music and singing style. The music is progressive, nu-metal, hard rock style. Influences are Mudvayne, Tool, Deftones, Radiohead. Don't need any screaming if that's an issue.
I'll gladly post a new song idea if anyone is actually interested in my crap.
Thanks a billion!!!

I'm with Chili who stated in the other thread that you are not doing so bad yourself man. Maybe a bit of tweaking how you record and liking your own voice? I'm not hearing pitch issues that make me think you are not 'the guy', but I do also understand your wishing for some 'other voice' that gives a different meaning to your songs.

I look forward to hearing what you come up with man. I wish I had the voice to offer.

Cheers!

Little clarification: I'm looking for a singer for my new album. (not the album that this song is from) This is to give you an idea of the music and singing style. The music is progressive, nu-metal, hard rock style. Influences are Mudvayne, Tool, Deftones, Radiohead. Don't need any screaming if that's an issue.
I'll gladly post a new song idea if anyone is actually interested in my crap.
Thanks a billion!!!

After further listening, that is quite good man. I do find the vocals sound a bit thin, but there is a personality there that I am not sure you are picking up on because it is your own voice. The CD Baby stuff is you singing right? I edited your original post here to have direct link to it.

If so I would get over the fact that you don't like your own voice and find a way to make it work.

...or find some other singer fuck to piss you off and waste your time... lol!

I bet with some manipulation of the already recorded tracks and some low harmonies you could make this really cool as it is.

BTW, what DAW are you using?

After further listening, that is quite good man. I do find the vocals sound a bit thin, but there is a personality there that I am not sure you are picking up on because it is your own voice. The CD Baby stuff is you singing right? I edited your original post here to have direct link to it.

If so I would get over the fact that you don't like your own voice and find a way to make it work.

...or find some other singer fuck to piss you off and waste your time... lol!

I bet with some manipulation of the already recorded tracks and some low harmonies you could make this really cool as it is.

BTW, what DAW are you using?

huh, really? you're one of the first to say that. everyone that I've shown, fellow musicians included, I've heard that they like the music a lot. It's just the singing that makes it too annoying.

for that album i used cakewalk 9. it was done analog style, used a behringer mixing board, dbx compressor and eq. I then used some adobe program and friend had to compress it digitally. i use a marshall valvestate vs100 for the distortion on the guitars.
for my new album I'm using ableton live 8 with a tascam us-1800 audio interface. I really need to upgrade albeton though, cause it has issues now since I switched to windows 10..

thanks for the input! I appreciate it

this is good. vocals are just fine. It's like Mudvayne punched 311 in the mouth. Very good mix too.

You have a quirkiness to your vocals, but they're by no means bad. It's a refreshing twist from the typical grunts and the beefy tones most of these guys have now. It's thinner, yeah, but adds a flair of punk to the music, which works very well in my opinion. Keep going how you are. Nice work

huh, really? you're one of the first to say that. everyone that I've shown, fellow musicians included, I've heard that they like the music a lot. It's just the singing that makes it too annoying.

for that album i used cakewalk 9. it was done analog style, used a behringer mixing board, dbx compressor and eq. I then used some adobe program and friend had to compress it digitally. i use a marshall valvestate vs100 for the distortion on the guitars.
for my new album I'm using ableton live 8 with a tascam us-1800 audio interface. I really need to upgrade albeton though, cause it has issues now since I switched to windows 10..

thanks for the input! I appreciate it

Hey man, I am not stroking you in anyway, but I think you already have what it is you want. It may just be you need to take a step back and get out of your own head.

I have some free time if you would want to share the tracks of a tune. I bet I could make 'your' vocal sound more the way you want it to.

You already have this sounding really good man. I just feel you just do not like your own voice recorded. That happens. All the time...

---------- Update ----------

this is good. vocals are just fine. It's like Mudvayne punched 311 in the mouth. Very good mix too.

You have a quirkiness to your vocals, but they're by no means bad. It's a refreshing twist from the typical grunts and the beefy tones most of these guys have now. It's thinner, yeah, but adds a flair of punk to the music, which works very well in my opinion. Keep going how you are. Nice work

Agreed.

I think Serj Tankian broke the mold for metal vocals a long time ago. You sound good man, just own it. I think it does need practice though, there are some points where you seem unsure what notes you want to commit to.

I think Serj Tankian broke the mold for metal vocals a long time ago. You sound good man, just own it. I think it does need practice though, there are some points where you seem unsure what notes you want to commit to.

Agreed and great points easlern.

The vocal was actually my favorite part.
The timing is off with them a few parts but otherwise they're good.

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll go ahead and just work with it for now. Since this new album is digital the vocals could always be redone later by another singer.
I'm noticing that my new mixes are much more quiet than my old recordings, though sounds much better in my opinion.
I've attached a new song. It's the only one I have that has vocals yet. Do these sound less 'thin' like you were describing before?

Again, thanks for the input! I really appreciate it!

Attachments

• mirage.mp3
    9.2 MB · Views: 5
Yeah sounds good man. A little pitchy in places but the vocal tone definitely works in my opinion.

Back