can someone have a listen

Hiya mate.

To be fair, it sounded alright. Wasn't obviously hugely noisy, popping, clipping or anything so you've got a decent start. Obviously, you're just strumming one clean chord and tapping a hi-hat.

What, amp>mic>interface are you using?

When you get going with recording some guitar parts that you want to use post the tracks up in The New Tone Thread and you'll probably get some detailed advice on how to make them sound shit-hot.

thanks for the feedback. I just thought maybe it sounded a bit bassy or boomy for a guitar. and I thought maybe it could be something like the amp or the acoustics of the room,sounds bouncing around. next I was thinking of buying a bass guitar and putting that into the mix and I want a separation of highs and lows, but I still have a lot to learn

As you add more instruments, the things you need to do to make a mix work will sort of present themselves. Until you add more instrumentation, all you can do is speculate.

:)

thanks for the feedback. I just thought maybe it sounded a bit bassy or boomy for a guitar. and I thought maybe it could be something like the amp or the acoustics of the room,sounds bouncing around. next I was thinking of buying a bass guitar and putting that into the mix and I want a separation of highs and lows, but I still have a lot to learn
You'll have fun with it when you start adding a bass and some layers.

That guitar sound is serviceable. In a mix, nobody is going to single it out and say, "that guitar, yuck." In my experience, it's not too productive to spend a lot of time worrying about guitar tone in isolation, unless it's a solo part that is going to be heard in isolation. The trick is to get it sounding right in context, so that it contributes to the song.

I went out and bought a bass and a bass amp. I think I got a pretty good price. now the challenge is teaching myself to play the bass. but honestly I think its the coolest thing ever.

Cool. Learning to play bass will improve your musicianship like nothing else. Get some lessons and do it right.

I went out and bought a bass and a bass amp. I think I got a pretty good price. now the challenge is teaching myself to play the bass. but honestly I think its the coolest thing ever.

Cool, what did you get? I just have a cheapo-shit bass for recording (in fact I have two of them!) but it just about does the job.

Try using your generic hi-hat beat, and add in a bassline over the top of it just using the route notes of a basic chord sequence, then try various strumming or picking patterns of those chords over the top and see what you come up with. Just have some fun with it - if you come up with a strumming or picking pattern you like, try chucking some lead on, but just do what you think sounds good not what you think will impress people. Just get used to the idea of trying to record a bassline and a couple of guitar lines that work together.

The guys here should then be able to give you plenty of pointers on how to mix it all so it sounds half decent.

i made that as a jam track to play bass over. i figure i will start with one chord and then if i get brave enough try another one and so on and so on. and then if i get really brave i will add some words lol

Back