Calm Relaxed Voice or Strained Edgier Voice?

Robertt8

Which Voice in which song? I kind of like both, but on one...
I've got a higher strained voice, which is done in a higher key. On another...
I've got a calmer, more mellow voice, but I can't tell if it's passionate enough.

Don't worry about listening to the whole tune if you don't want...just enough to get an idea is cool...

What do you guys think?

TAIT
http://bob.birdsallinteractive.com/

Great tune, I'm really grooving it here.

I prefer the lower much more, I'm not sure why I think the higher one sounds like you are out of breath at the end of the vocal run. Also, I'd bring the bass up a touch, can't really hear it in either mix. Great song though man, real cool.

lynx said:
Also, I'd bring the bass up a touch, can't really hear it in either mix. Great song though man, real cool.
HAHAHAHahaha...Robert, you wanna' kill us yet?

"there's too much, there's not enough...lol"

I think it could actually use a bump in the ass, but when I hype the lows, there's PLENTY of them there, just not enough in the 120Hz range (guessing, kinda...just sounds like that).

Here's something else to drive you nuts. I think you oughtta' combine the vocal parts. I like the low verses, but I like the high choruses.

Feel free to shoot me now.

OH WAIT...one more thing

that ratchet sound...I think you brought it down in the mix some, but now it almost gives the effect of fake vinyl or something...I kept thinking, "what is that scratching noise?"

I'd bring it up a TAD, or ditch it.

hehehee...sorry.

Voting so far...

1 Vote for Low
1 Vote for both High and Low
1 Vote for either High or Low

LYNX: Thanks for listening. It may sound like I'm out of breath on the higher one because I usually am. As Chrisharris mentioned, the bass has become the bane of my existence. I'll check it out...thanks!

CHRISHARRIS: As you can see, I'm still struggling with this stupid bass. I don't get it. It seems like it's pretty loud on the mix to me, but it might just be because I've heard the song like five thousand times that it starts to sound fine or even too loud. I'll try and boost in the 120 range and see what that does. As for mixing the high and low vocals...it might be really tough. They're actually two completely different songs with each track recorded separately, but the real problem comes that they're in two different keys. The low sung one is in E and the higher one is in D. when I sung low on the D it was too low and sounded weird, but the High part was fine. Then when I decided to try it low I had to change to an E to get something that wasn't too low. I'm not sure If I could do reach a high part on the chorus...maybe I could find something in between. I'll see if I can bring up the scrapey stick thingy...

By the way, thanks again for the feedback and help you've given.

CYANJAGUAR: Thanks for responding. I'm glad you like the tune!

How bout somewhere in between...?

(how's that for an ambiguous answer? :p)

I mean... you're straining in the first one, and the low notes in the second one are at the lower edge of your range... so why not play it somewhere in between? I think both versions have their "issues"... maybe a compromise is in order. :p

WATYF

WATYF: Good solution...maybe a little higher on the lower voice or a little lower on the higher voice...unfortunately that means re-recording the whole thing again...damn.

1 Vote for Low
1 Vote for both High and Low
1 Vote for either High or Low
1 Vote for somewhere in between the High and Low

4 answers, 4 different results.

Robert,

I must've listened to this song at least a couple dozen times already.

I don't like the smooth low voice version. Maybe cuz it's different from all your previous versions. And the raspy version you have posted on here is a bit higher than the previous versions also.

The best version definitely would be one with a raspy vocal. One version I have titled just I_Believe_in_Everything.mp3 (exactly like that) downloaded 5/28 has raspy + lower tone. This is my favorite. sorry I didn't stick to my two choices up there.

I'm definitely a fan of yours. Your other stuff is awesome too. My lil 6 week old has fun listening too.

kt
when's your next one comin?

i think you should relax and sing it high! how about that.

i like the way you sang it in the second one better but i like the higher pitch overall for the song. can sing it like you sang the second one but at the pitch of the first?

I vote overall for the lower one, but maybe you could hybrid them..

save the high version for a climactic part of the song so it stands out more.

Adding my vote for combining the low and high voices. If you maybe saved the high for the last verse it might make a nice climactic kinda dealie.

Cool song. I won't get into mix issues cause my ears are fried from mixing Harris's damn song all day long.:)

Chris

KEVINTRAN: Thanks for the input! I'll have to dig up that old version and see what I've got on that one that the newer ones don't. Technically, that older version should be in the same key as the higher pitched one...so it should be interesting to compare the two. By the way, I'm glad you dig the tunes! I tend to write my music at around a six month level, so i'm sure that's why your six month old enjoyed my tunes:p . You'll see my next tune up here for shredding in the next month or so...

ERICHENRYUS: thanks...I guess I need some figuring out on this stupid song:confused: . It sounds like people are pushing toward the blend of high and low. I've got to figure out what I can hit vocally. I think a little experimentation is in order.

KOMPEWTUR: Thanks for listening! like i mentioned I'll probably do the hybrid thing and see how that sounds.

GROUCHO: Thanks again...I'll see what I can do to blend the two without it coming out like some monster. Oh, I'd love to hear any mixing suggestions you may have...on either version.

Thanks for listening people!:D

Yeah I really like the song. I remember an earlier posting and I liked it then too. Loved the rapid fire vocals. Good singing voice.

Both versions are good. But the version in the higher key is my personal favorite. The strained vocal has more "character" to it IMO. Depsite having said that, it was easier to make out the lyrics in the lower key version.

The doubled vox on the higher version could stand to be tightened up a little bit. There are opportunities for harmonies that I'd suggest you take advantage of. Just a thought.

I could hear some sort of popping on the left side of the lower version. Oh heard some on the right too.

Sort of a weird snare sound on both of them.

Hey these are real nits. Hoping I can help improve things somehow.

Anyway, here's a solid vote for the higher version.

Trip...

Hey TripleM, thanks for responding and the complements...it's always nice to get a few of those. I think I'm headed in the direction of redoing this stupid song yet again in another key where I don't need to sing it quite as high, but hopefully with enough juice still left. As for the popping sound, I'm not exactly sure what that is...Do you remember which version it was? Or was it in both? I can easily change that snare, so that shouldn't be that big of problem. Thanks for the suggestions!

They're both good,sorry I like 'em both! Having said that, I think I like the higher key better. It's got a little more feeling in it. It just depends on your mood.

Twist

Robertt8 said:
As for the popping sound, I'm not exactly sure what that is...Do you remember which version it was?

It was in the lower key version. As I recall, it wasn't the typical popping I usually hear. It may have been something like a pick hitting the front of a guitar or something like that.

Back