California Sun- Burak Tulbentci

pronoise

I thought, I posted this song a few days ago, but I couldn't find it, so I repost.
I wrote it a while back after a trip to California.
Even though, it sounds somewhat dark, I like California ;)
I recorded and mixed it in my project studio, located in my garage.

Reactions: PDP
I liked the clean guitar. Very distinctive singing voice. Vocals were very clear (but a little dry). Bass is sitting just right IMO.

I didn't care for the kick sound. Had that "bouncy ball" sound. Didn't fit the song. Snare sound was a little too slappy. Not enough "umph" in it.

I'd put more layers in the harmony vocals. They sounded like they were single tracked.

Needs a de esser.
There's a Europeaness to this that is, generally, quite attractive.
"Only the best can last here" doesn't really fit with some of your other lines - it seems to be an OK hook but is disingenuous given the topic and your other statements.
Are you writing a song for each state?

Wow I really liked this cut, rather unique in a good way, I've been listening to the Moody Blues a lot lately, there's almost a MBs flavor to this. Great tune for a sound track.
rep on this one
Pete

Listened to Carolina too, great work new brother, hope to see you round the forum. Welcome

Great suggestions here, I am glad that I posted this here :)
The Europeannes comes from my background.
I was born in Istanbul, Turkey and raised there, I moved to the US after college and German was my first foreign language, I've learned English later.
I sound more native when I sing covers, people pretty much can't detect my accent then, but with the original material, it becomes obvious :)
I will definitely work on this track and make it sound better than it is now.
Thank you for the warm welcome, I will hang around here more often.
My music life and online presence has diminished in the recent years as I have two young boys now.
They take most of my time and energy :)

nice - fun to listen to, if a little dark. I like the guitar sounds a lot. The lead vocal track is great - maybe could come down a dB or two or use a little reverb or something. The kick is maybe mixed too loud? On my system the rest of the sound was kind of ducking when the kick sounded, which was a little distracting. Nice work!

There may have been a European-ness or even a California-ness to the song, but that intro harmonica completely killed both those vibes. Seriously? A harmonica in a California song? I think harmonicas may even be illegal in California.

There is a kind of sad, longing in your voice. Like you just escaped to California from East Germany but you had to leave your entire family behind and you sort of miss them.

Could you possibly get some kind of pitch tuner to fix a few of the vocal pitch issues? You seem to like sliding into notes from below, and it may sound better if you slid into them a little quicker or used a pitch tuner to make the slope less steep.

What?? Carolina now? Where did that come from? Why did you change States so fast? You seem a little fickle. Ha. Are you going through all the States one by one and writing a song about each one? Good luck with Minnesota.

JJ.

Sorry for responding a little late.
I didn't know, harmonica is anti-California :)
I will look into the pitch situation, good suggestion.
I'm changing some of the lyrics any way, so I'll track the vocals again.
I live in Carolina for 20 years now, but I came from Istanbul Turkey not from East Germany :)
I'll work with the snare as well.
Thanks everyone for their suggestions, keep them coming :)

Back