Buy Now Pay Later

It sounds really good. It's a good song. The female voice at the end is a nice touch.

I could very well be wrong or mistaken on what I'm about to say, so I'm letting you know in advance. It sounds small. It's like it was recorded in a closet. Not that it sounds bad, it doesn't. It just sounds very "close", like there's no breathing room.

All in all a good song.

Thanks Snow, I get your meaning, and it's cool. I have heard more open mixes here so I know what you're referring to. Could be arrangement, mixing or a little of both - I'll have to research this a bit.

Cool jam. I agree with Snowman999...a bit...small. Solid balances overall and no major problems though. What was the recording setup?

Cool jam. I agree with Snowman999...a bit...small. Solid balances overall and no major problems though. What was the recording setup?

Guitars - mic'd SM57 on a Marshall
Bass - Ampeg Amp - DI through ISA2
Vocals - U87 through LA610
Drums - live off the floor - exact specs/mics I'd have to check with the drummer

I'm not hearing what they are... Seems in your face and upfront. Love it. My only suggestion would be the kick, seems just a little too forward. I'd say pull it back just a hair. Maybe bring the snare and overheads up a tad as well. Other than that, solid mix. :thumbs up:

and when did you get a U87??? How did I miss that?? :confused:

I'm not hearing what they are... Seems in your face and upfront. Love it. My only suggestion would be the kick, seems just a little too forward.

This is what I heard exactly. Just that kick is too much. Everything else is really nice and smooth. Great sounding vocals Ido.

edit: hmm, what about that female vocal panned to the R? Did you try that? I think it needs better leveling within the phrase, some words drop out. So, it might just work on the side, then you might not need to manually edit the words.

I'm not hearing what they are... Seems in your face and upfront. Love it. My only suggestion would be the kick, seems just a little too forward. I'd say pull it back just a hair. Maybe bring the snare and overheads up a tad as well. Other than that, solid mix. :thumbs up:

and when did you get a U87??? How did I miss that?? :confused:
Thanks Chili - bought the U87 last February and it's a real nice mic. I've retired my Sputnik and NTK which got me by for a long time.
I've gotten a few kick comments from other posters so I'll trim that back a bit, that may let the rest of the kit through so we'll see.

This is what I heard exactly. Just that kick is too much. Everything else is really nice and smooth. Great sounding vocals Ido.

edit: hmm, what about that female vocal panned to the R? Did you try that? I think it needs better leveling within the phrase, some words drop out. So, it might just work on the side, then you might not need to manually edit the words.
Thanks andrushkiwt. That female vocal has been "a challenge" to mix to get it just right. I have done the panning thing but it didn't have the effect I wanted. Although it is automated where you mentioned, I'll pull it up a bit more and see if it levels out a bit better.

dig the tune, ido...
it's a solid tune, with a solid lyric and arrangement.

the mix sounded a bit funny to me...

there's practically nothing below 45 hz... which seems odd, and sound a bit anemic on a full range system...

there is a buildup around 670, that makes the mix seem a bit mid heavy....
and very light around 2k, with a steep rolloff at about 6k, so not much 'air' in the mix.

i took your first wav file, and just for fun, tweaked it a bit with eq....
just to quickly show the diff if you correct areas where i talked about above..

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aklg-oT3cVfsafzz2FXDCzdTiiQ

dig the tune, ido...
it's a solid tune, with a solid lyric and arrangement.

the mix sounded a bit funny to me...

there's practically nothing below 45 hz... which seems odd, and sound a bit anemic on a full range system...

there is a buildup around 670, that makes the mix seem a bit mid heavy....
and very light around 2k, with a steep rolloff at about 6k, so not much 'air' in the mix.

i took your first wav file, and just for fun, tweaked it a bit with eq....
just to quickly show the diff if you correct areas where i talked about above..

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aklg-oT3cVfsafzz2FXDCzdTiiQ

Thanks Gonzo - I just got home so I'll have a listen tonight and add the changes. :)

I agree with Gonzo seemed a bit light in the low end. The mix otherwise is fantastic balance-wise (judicious reverb/delay might take it up a notch).

Well done Gonzo- I listened to this a few days ago and thought like gonzo that it just lacked pizzazz, everything was audible and distinct just a little tame. I think his remix shows more what a rocking tune you got here. Could use a bit more low end but it sounds you have all the raw materials for a great mix. Cool tune-Sounds like a semi hollow body? What guitars/amps are you using on this? Good solid vocal, all instruments played well and sound very good.

I agree with the previous posters... it could use a bit of reverb to give it some space and soften everything up. There is a good width to it though. It is a bit harsh so maybe even use a de-esser on the cymbals and tame the crack on the snare a bit? Good mix and good song overall though.

Back