Burn to Light - thoughts on this mix>?

andrushkiwt

Spent a little more time than usual on this one. The bridge was a last minute creation, so i understand if some don't like it ;) I guess the main focus this time was working on dynamics and the MBC. I wanted a little bit of pumping to the low end, but not much (it's not techno). The final chorus needed to have the energy and umph on its initial hit, and I think I came pretty close to how i wanted it to feel. would you let me know what you think, particularly the dynamics and energy between transitions? thanks anyone

edit: the first chorus was intentionally less dramatic, loud, and wide than the second. in turn, the second was less than the last.

https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt/burn-to-light

you got a great voice. thats def a strong suit. you should make the guitars a little louder they seem a little quiet compared to the drums.

other then that good song.

you got a great voice. thats def a strong suit. you should make the guitars a little louder they seem a little quiet compared to the drums.

other then that good song.

thank you sir. there were a couple guitars during the verses that could have come up a bit, I think. the outro guitars were almost too loud, but the choruses were leveled ok, i thought. thanks for the feedback and the listen.

Good voice you have. I want to say that the kick sounds too loud, but at times I think the bass is covering it up so it sounds inconsistent. So in parts it sounds really loud and in others, hardly heard. Maybe side-chain the compressor or notch the frequencies. Its a great sounding song though. Good job.

I thought this sounded really good.

The vocal gets covered for a syllable here and there.

The distorted guitars have just a bit too much gain for my taste. I think the mix could have a slightly stronger lower end.

But other than that, I thought it was real good. Things sound great.

Good voice you have. I want to say that the kick sounds too loud, but at times I think the bass is covering it up so it sounds inconsistent. So in parts it sounds really loud and in others, hardly heard. Maybe side-chain the compressor or notch the frequencies. Its a great sounding song though. Good job.

Thanks man. As always, they are linked through a compressor. I'm going to guess that I cut some bass freqs too much. The root note really boomed, so I cut it in addition to other super loud notes (well, frequencies). It's possible the ones I didn't cut were coming through louder. I do recall noticing that the other day but didn't anyone would hear that. Haha. Nice ears man.

I thought this sounded really good.

The vocal gets covered for a syllable here and there.

The distorted guitars have just a bit too much gain for my taste. I think the mix could have a slightly stronger lower end.

But other than that, I thought it was real good. Things sound great.

I'll pay more attention to the vocals. I comp, like, 8 takes...so there's sometimes a slight difference during phrases. I try to manually edit volumes by phrases, but I miss a few occasionally. I thought the low end was a little louder this time around, no? And, how are you always able to tell the gain from the drive so well...? Honestly, I've been playing for 23 years and I cant really tell when the gain is up high or if it's the drive. What is it that youre noticing?

Good song, and really good performances on the vocals and guitars. There's something wonky going on with your lower end. The bass and drums seemed to fade up and down in levels. You might be overdoing that linked compressor. The drums were busy. I know you're going for a kind of prog/pop sound where busy drums are expected. It was a bit much for me.

I might bring the lead vox down just a tad on the chorus, or bring the other instruments up, same diff. :D

Cool song, drums are really nice in particular. Pretty amazing break, you're getting some serious production going lately.

And, how are you always able to tell the gain from the drive so well...? Honestly, I've been playing for 23 years and I cant really tell when the gain is up high or if it's the drive. What is it that youre noticing?

a couple of things... first and most important - it's only my opinion. Other people might (and probably do) like it just the way it is.

Second thing - it's not a matter of determining gain vs drive (at least not to me). It's just the characteristic of the distortion... If it gets too fuzzy for me, and the fuzz in question has a high-mid sizzle to it (like the sound of a radio with an analog tuner that isn't quite tuned in right) I think there is too much gain. Anyway, that's what I'm listening for.

If it gets too fuzzy for me, and the fuzz in question has a high-mid sizzle to it (like the sound of a radio with an analog tuner that isn't quite tuned in right) I think there is too much gain. Anyway, that's what I'm listening for.

ok got ya. yeah, some of the amp and cab models (and combinations of them) give that fuzz off more than others even though the gain defaults at 7/10 when you open the amp sim. I'll listen for that sizzle/fuzz more. thanks for clarifying that

Good song, and really good performances on the vocals and guitars. There's something wonky going on with your lower end. The bass and drums seemed to fade up and down in levels. You might be overdoing that linked compressor. The drums were busy. I know you're going for a kind of prog/pop sound where busy drums are expected. It was a bit much for me.

i really think it was my EQ work on the bass - i slammed down hard on the boomy bass notes, and in turn it probably affects the linked compressor in an unpleasant way. i was getting about 3db of gain reduction via the compressor at about 5.1:1. also, i might need to pay more attention to my velocities in Superior Drummer. For new sections, I usually put the kick way up on the 1 beat, especially if there are cymbal hits as well. I also double up on that 1 beat with another kick hit.

I might bring the lead vox down just a tad on the chorus, or bring the other instruments up, same diff. :D

Cool song, drums are really nice in particular. Pretty amazing break, you're getting some serious production going lately.

thanks dude. i had no ideas for the break when i sat down to record it, but i had just listened to the youtube version of "from yesterday" by 30 secs to mars. the breaks for the movie in that clip were in my head.

Back