Brother

Mr Clean

AKA Teddy Wong
This is the latest track I'm working on with my mate Tim. Another cracking little tune of his.

It's a bit rough round the edges at the minute and I've just got some basic ideas down around the main track. See what you's think of it so far. I'm looking forward to getting cracking on this but I've got busy days ahead, so time is lacking.

Again, all thoughts, comments and abuse welcomed. :thumbs up:

[MP3]http://themrclean.co.uk/mp3/Brother.mp3[/MP3]

MP3 LINK

Sounds a little dark, but I really like it. Reminded me a lot of Dead or Alive / Black Water. Sounds very natural, can't wait to hear the next version

Yeah, what EricI said. If you cut either the low end or lowmids in the guitar part on the left, the vocal will come out more. It sounds like he's reaching (and not always nailing) some of the notes that follow on from that high note in the chorus. Pitch correction time? Also, on 'out' in 'I found out', it sort of disappears a bit. Turn it up?

Nice tune, yeah. I get the Black Water reference, but it reminds me more of Traffic in the John Barleycorn days.

I think the tune is great. I don't know if a brighter guitar will sound as good as the darker sound. It fits the tune and the tambourine give the song some high end sizzle. You can experiment but I like the sound of it in the context of the lyric and style. It reminds me of some of skynyrd acoustical stuff.
I really dig it Mr clean.

Very full sounding which I like. Bass guitar rolls along nicely underneath without getting in the way of anything.

His voice sounds cool on this. Guitars sound good to me.

Really minor thing, but the tambourine (shaker/maraca?) kind of stood out too much to me (in phones at least). It just seemed to have an overly bright verb on it or something that left a slightly harsh tail to each hit. Really minor though. It may be exaggerated on phones where the panning of it sets it apart more lending to more scrutiny. Just trying to find something to suggest! :) Good job.

I liked the boom, fit this song (you could cut some, but not too much). I would have put a double kick in about every other measure just to add some variance.

Something else that would sound cool on this song, nice little banjo playing underneath everything (it should cut through without much problem). Not in a bluegrass style, but in a nice little fast melody in between the vocals and under the guitar. Splash here and splash here.

I like it.

Definite John Barleycorn-Traffic vibe going. A little more automation on the vocal volumes needed. I think the guitars are fine, but the bass is very boomy, I'd like just a little more treble in its amp setting. The little lead guitar part about halfway is too reverby for me. The tambourine could come down a little in volume in places - the volume is backed off during the singing, but gets too loud during the instrumental sections. During the next to last 'brother...brother' part, it does a hit every other measure, sounds like an afterthought.
Good tune!

Yeah, what EricI said. If you cut either the low end or lowmids in the guitar part on the left, the vocal will come out more. It sounds like he's reaching (and not always nailing) some of the notes that follow on from that high note in the chorus. Pitch correction time? Also, on 'out' in 'I found out', it sort of disappears a bit. Turn it up?

Nice tune, yeah. I get the Black Water reference, but it reminds me more of Traffic in the John Barleycorn days.

I think the tune is great. I don't know if a brighter guitar will sound as good as the darker sound. It fits the tune and the tambourine give the song some high end sizzle. You can experiment but I like the sound of it in the context of the lyric and style. It reminds me of some of skynyrd acoustical stuff.
I really dig it Mr clean.

Pretty good. A little boomy on my speakers, but I dig it.

Very full sounding which I like. Bass guitar rolls along nicely underneath without getting in the way of anything.

His voice sounds cool on this. Guitars sound good to me.

Really minor thing, but the tambourine (shaker/maraca?) kind of stood out too much to me (in phones at least). It just seemed to have an overly bright verb on it or something that left a slightly harsh tail to each hit. Really minor though. It may be exaggerated on phones where the panning of it sets it apart more lending to more scrutiny. Just trying to find something to suggest! :) Good job.

I liked the boom, fit this song (you could cut some, but not too much). I would have put a double kick in about every other measure just to add some variance.

Something else that would sound cool on this song, nice little banjo playing underneath everything (it should cut through without much problem). Not in a bluegrass style, but in a nice little fast melody in between the vocals and under the guitar. Splash here and splash here.

I like it.

Cheers all! :thumbs up.

Easy to reply to all than each individually. I didn't realise how dark it sounded as when I was playing parts and jammin', etc, I was roughly mixing as I went along. I know this need some work doing to it in a lot of places. I'm hoping to get back and busy with it on Wednesday.

I'll keep the post updated as I go. :thumbs up:

Back