Broken Shards by Lost in Time

Chaos351

I've posted this in the past, without vocals, but was finally able to get the vocals recorded for this.

Let me know what you think of it

Thanks!

Last edited:
I thought the acoustic guitars sounded pretty good. The vocal in the intro was a bit washed out in reverb. If it were me, I'd keep it pretty dry (that's what I always say :) )

The electric crunch guitars sounded good, but they kind of take over the whole mix when they kick in. Great distortion on the them. Just turn them down a little.

Bass and Kick meshed well together. Drums sounded OK. I'm mostly hearing kick and snare. not much from cymbals or toms.

There is just a bit of sense that everything is trying to be the loudest thing in the mix. Pretty good sounds, but everything can't be the main thing.

I thought the acoustic guitars sounded pretty good. The vocal in the intro was a bit washed out in reverb. If it were me, I'd keep it pretty dry (that's what I always say :) )

The electric crunch guitars sounded good, but they kind of take over the whole mix when they kick in. Great distortion on the them. Just turn them down a little.

Bass and Kick meshed well together. Drums sounded OK. I'm mostly hearing kick and snare. not much from cymbals or toms.

There is just a bit of sense that everything is trying to be the loudest thing in the mix. Pretty good sounds, but everything can't be the main thing.

Turned the distorted guitars down slightly, and I turned the echo down on the vocals. Especially early on. Didn't really pay much mind to it before, but I agree now that you pointed it out that it was a bit over bearing. I tend to do that with reverbs and echoes.

I edited the original post with the newest version to listen to, if you don't mind listening to it again.

The big things that are sticking out to me are that the the acoustics are very bright, and almost everything else (esp. drums and vox) are very dark.
What does your EQing look like?

The big things that are sticking out to me are that the the acoustics are very bright, and almost everything else (esp. drums and vox) are very dark.
What does your EQing look like?

Didn't really notice it too much beforehand, one of those things that I didn't really notice until it was pointed out to me. haha

Lowered the highs a bit, also cut some of the lows out on the distorted guitars because I noticed they seemed overpowering during the verses.

Really appreciate the input, think it's sounding much better now!

Definitely much improved.

Can you boost the highs on the distorted guits at all? They could use some more definition.

Back