Bringing a Song Out-Front and Clear

Battlegun

Hello Home Recorders. I want to deal with an issue I've been having with mixing and that is bringing the sound of the track up-front (when listening on headphones) and more clarity. In "Miracle" the song that I'll be showing you, I tried to not use as many effects as to muddy the mix, but it doesn't seem as "up-front" as it should be. Any advice you all can share?

I'd start with EQ to try and lighten things up a bit in spots. You can't have everything up front, but the problem I had was figuring out what I was supposed to be listening to here, i.e., what's important. If something's not important, move it back in the mix with volume automation or reverb (0 pre-delay), maybe. But, again, give me something to hold on to.

I didn't hear what I would call "up front" issues. I think there are some level issues. The mix is dominated by the synths. The pad synths and the lead synths sound good level-wise relative to each other. But the drums are way back and sound wimpy by comparison. To a lesser extent, the bass is kind of far back too.

Not sure what you really mean by 'upfront'. It all sounds very 'canned', the drums in particular sound like an old drum machine (the actual sounds), so not sure if this is the sound you really want or just what you have.

Back