Bored in San Antone with JohnnyAmato and ibleedburgundy

Robus

Here's a collaboration from the forum. Johnny did all the vocals. Dave played drums. Guitars, keys, bass, and song are mine. Awesome work guys!

[UPDATE: JohnnyAmato contributed the awesome outro guitar solo, both parts!]

Early days for the mix. All comments appreciated. Thanks!

Updated mix:
Bored in San Antone_Ray Taylor_mix 23.mp3 - Google Drive

Bored in San Antone
Words and music by Ray Taylor, 2017

We’re bored in San Antone
That’s the most we need to know
We’ll see it all and more
When we’re together
And I think I really dig you
So what if it were true?
We’d work it out somehow
Or break it all in two

And the Alamo looks smaller
Than the tall tales and hollers
We got a tale or two
And mine’s got eyes for you

Well it’s high ho
Old Silver and away we go
Excuse us if we don’t stand on formalities
It’s lie low
Storm coming and a wicked blow
All the wicked know
Is they ain’t bored tonight in San Antone

Yeah, ooh, etc.

Off a whirlwind tour of a cloverleaf
On the south side of downtown
Past the buff shops and the taco stands
Where the highway spit us out
I think I really love you
Though who am I to say?
There’s the right way
And the wanton way
And the games we’re wont to play

Well the Alamo looks smaller
Than the tall tales and the hollars
I got no plans that don’t involve
Your number

Well it’s high ho
Old Silver and away we go
Excuse us if we don’t stand on formality
It’s lie low
Storm coming and a wicked blow
All the wicked know
Is they ain’t bored tonight in San Antone

Last edited:
Your PM box is full, Robus. Yes but not right now, was the answer. Away from the studio for another 48 hours or so...

This is a re-record, right? Full, or just the J & D parts? This version seems a little cleaner and clearer than I think I remember the old one being.

Johnny does a pretty good job of emulating your vocal style.

I know....totally off the subject......sorry.......but the name Ray Taylor caught my eye. Back in the late 70's....early 80's??.....I played drums for a guy called Ray Taylor (The Ray Taylor Show). He played a Fender Rhodes.......his wife played bass......and we had a decent guitar player. Ray was an native Amercian and could sing the blues brother.....like Ray Charles.......really. No relation I assume?

OK I'll get pretty picky. Because it's really good. But maybe a little nip and tuck here and there...

I thought the vocals were wetter than the instruments. If it were me, I'd keep the vocal rather intimate. The reverb gives the vocal a bit of sibalance.

The clean guitar in the intro has a bit too much bite for me. Maybe a notch around 2400hz.

I really like the rhythm guitar on the left. I really like the palm muted part after the first chorus.

The bass seemed a bit strong in the intro, but it sat well after that.

Not sure I like the keyboard part. Just didn't seem to fit sonic-wise to me.

Kick/snare were quite nice. Overheads were narrow. Or maybe too much high hat and not enough overheads? And I'm hearing the hat mic?

Really small things. It sounded quite nice.

New mix in the OP. I haven't addressed many of the issues you all mentioned yet. However, Johnny Amato recorded a great outro guitar solo. It follows the second chorus just after 3:30. Check it out!

To my ears, there's an apparent clarity in the vocal that isn't matched with the music. There's a duller or tamer vibe/sound from the instruments than the vocal, which is bright and clear. It hits me right from the start of the vocal.

Is there a vocal hiccup at 2:42? Sounds like a different note should be aimed for there.

If this were in front of me, I'd look at brightening up the sound somehow, possibly with EQ on the OH's. Foundation and rhythm section are good. I'd rethink the 3:51 piece of the solo - not sure it fits right with the tune. The rest of it was brilliant though, particularly the very end of the outro on the descending sliding notes.

If this were in front of me, I'd look at brightening up the sound somehow, possibly with EQ on the OH's. Foundation and rhythm section are good. I'd rethink the 3:51 piece of the solo - not sure it fits right with the tune. The rest of it was brilliant though, particularly the very end of the outro on the descending sliding notes.

I think I agree. That faster run at 3:51 sticks out a little. I was actually having a little tough of a time coming up with stuff because I'm so used to what he already had there. If I deviated too much it didn't sound right to me. That particular run came out of me when I was just like 'screw it' and played anything lol.

I think the backing vocals could maybe come down a tad, and I'd cut back the reverb just a hair on the lead. Maybe even cut back just a tad on the high end boost of the lead too, to fit the music bed a little better. It sounds great as is, I think it could just blend in a little better.

I'll look into that vocal hiccup you mentioned, and correct it if needed.

Thanks for the listen.

Thanks. I'll be doing a complete remix of the whole tune, but just need to give it a few days' rest before I do that. It's getting to the point where I have heard it so many times, it's hard to be objective.

That particular run came out of me when I was just like 'screw it' and played anything lol.

I mean, honestly, I thought that's what happened. Like, "oh, Johnny got all Johnny there! Couldn't contain himself!". lol. It's definitely a wicked piece and a great little run, just somewhat out of place for the song - in my own opinion, of course. Whatever that means to ya! Again, just to stress it, the very last lick is wicked good, fits like a charm, and I wonder if it should be introduced earlier in the song as an instrumental hook of sorts - like Ray does in Island Hopping. ;) Ray's music lends itself to instrumental hooks; I think they should be a revolving theme and used more frequently in his music.

Ray's music lends itself to instrumental hooks; I think they should be a revolving theme and used more frequently in his music.

I couldn't agree more. There are some killer instrumental interludes in Ray's songs. They are so good, making them more of a focus is something to consider. My fav is the one in "I'll Tell You Something."

Back