Bored in San Antone with JohnnyAmato and ibleedburgundy

Here's a collaboration from the forum. Johnny did all the vocals. Dave played drums. Guitars, keys, bass, and song are mine. Awesome work guys!

Early days for the mix. All comments appreciated. Thanks!

Updated mix:
Bored in San Antone_Ray Taylor_mix 22.mp3 - Google Drive

Bored in San Antone
Words and music by Ray Taylor, 2017

We’re bored in San Antone
That’s the most we need to know
We’ll see it all and more
When we’re together
And I think I really dig you
So what if it were true?
We’d work it out somehow
Or break it all in two

And the Alamo looks smaller
Than the tall tales and hollers
We got a tale or two
And mine’s got eyes for you

Well it’s high ho
Old Silver and away we go
Excuse us if we don’t stand on formalities
It’s lie low
Storm coming and a wicked blow
All the wicked know
Is they ain’t bored tonight in San Antone

Yeah, ooh, etc.

Off a whirlwind tour of a cloverleaf
On the south side of downtown
Past the buff shops and the taco stands
Where the highway spit us out
I think I really love you
Though who am I to say?
There’s the right way
And the wanton way
And the games we’re wont to play

Well the Alamo looks smaller
Than the tall tales and the hollars
I got no plans that don’t involve
Your number

Well it’s high ho
Old Silver and away we go
Excuse us if we don’t stand on formality
It’s lie low
Storm coming and a wicked blow
All the wicked know
Is they ain’t bored tonight in San Antone

smooth.. sounds like a ray taylor song

Thanks guys. That little harmonized, descending guitar line came along early in the songwriting process. I use it four times--intro, both choruses, and Johnny plays it in the outro. It's actually just the chords under "they ain't bored tonight in San Antone."

I think the reason why that fast run in Johnny's solo sounds out of place is that there's isn't a second guitar panned opposite during that passage. I had to mute the #2 guitar because the part it was playing was just too busy and conflicted. Once I get a guitar in there to balance out the run, give another listen.

Sounds great, i can recognize your mix style by the nice separation and quiet between the elements. Great vocals by JAmato, guitar and drums are very tasty and appropriate-a very successful collaboration. If i have a nit-pick i would have narrowed down to one guitar solo track, i do the same thing on occasion where i'll record a few takes of solo and like different sections of each and be tempted to just play them both, but i think it helps to have a single instrument playing the solo. Real nice song and mood overall, San Antonio is a very impressive city even if you're bored. : )

Hey Robus, haven't read the comments in this thread, so sorry if I'm duplicating anything. Basically, it sounds really smooth and pretty great from a home-recording standpoint. Vocal is very nice (timber/performance). My only issue is the vocal is a bit upfront and overly dry, so to me it's not sitting right in the mix. Seems just a bit of reverb will make it sit back where it belongs and add the depth it's craving. The snare can maybe use a little compression, too. It sounds like the snare of a lounge/jazz tune. Compression could add a bit of edge to it.

Vocals were upfront, but it seemed more of a production decision than a mix issue.

Sub was bit heavy on my system and usually that means it might be really heavy with someone who has a good sub. That is more of an FYI to check.

It is really dry and sounds good. Did you try putting some room into the mix? Wonder if it would change the character.

Nothing wrong with the mix I heard. Pretty rock solid.

Updated mix in the OP. In the end I left Johnny's vocal up front and dry. He sells the lyric and carries the song. I left the harmony vox pretty loud. I grew up in the 70s--listening to country rock. What can I say? I'm a sucker for vocal harmonies, and he nailed these. I might record a track or two of me harmonizing with Johnny. The idea would be so that it doesn't sound like one singer doing it all, but I'm not sure it's a problem here.

Thanks for the help. I'm hoping to have another song with Dave and Johnny soon.

Wow, Ray, not sure what you did but it sounds fantastic to me. Not exactly sure why, but sounds much more cohesive than the first rough mix. Sounds smoother, vocals and the leads. Vocal is upfront, yet still in place with the music. Great mix, no nits here.

Now that I finally finished that mix for that video, things will slow down over here enough that I will get to Seedy Side Of Heaven very soon. Probably start it in a day or so, looking forward to it.

Back