Boots and blood FFDP cover

PN98

https://soundcloud.com/instrumental-metal/boots-and-blood-cover

Hi, I've been recording some of my own songs and covers for about a year now and i'm not too
pleased with my sound. My gear: Ezdrummer with Rock Solid ezx(self played)
Bass is recorded line in. no amp. Guitar is line in from fender mustang amp.
Everything runs through Tascam us1800 and Cubase le5. So fairly cheap equipment.
Biggest issue is the guitar sound. The sound level is also very low.

I know i can't get as beefy tone as FFDP without spending a lot more money, but i'd like to
get the best i can with this setup.

Any tips are appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi PN98. Welcome to the forum. You might get more response if you put the song on Soundcloud or another streaming site. When I clicked on your link, I got a connection to the sign-in page on a file-sharing site. I did see a button that said "download." I couldn't tell if that was a link to download your song, or the file-sharing software from that site. Either way, I'm just not into downloading unknown files.

Sorry, the MP3Clinic should have a sticky thread to help guide new members.

Well, not sure what to say. There wasn't much to it really. Did you load the complete song?

38 seconds of instrumental is really not much to work with...but here goes:

Okay, first off sometimes less is more. If you "notch" your eq i.e. pull 65 Hz with a moderate Q out of the bass to let the kick come through, give each guitar it's own space by kicking their best fundamental frequencies up to blend. Try using side chain compression to pull guitars away from vocals or bass down when the kick hits.
And sometimes more is better. It sounds a lot like your only running one guitar on each side. Many times there are 4 and even 8 guitar parts running on each side in this type of music to give that huge wall. Each is thinned pretty hard (as outlined above), but the total sounds FULL.
Your drums sound pretty good...

Actually I recorded 3 guitars each side...
But thanks for the tips.

i would suggest posting this in the guitar tone thread. you may get more help with guitar tones there.

however, you're pretty close and i think i know what you are after. i'd recommend letting the bass be the bass, not the guitar. so, run a hp filter over the lower freq's of the guitar, maybe somewhere around 80-100 hz. let the bass guitar sit there. i think you're trying to get "heavy" tones by beefing up the bass on the guitars, but they sound muddy and muffled this way. the heaviness comes from the combination of kick, bass, and guitars..not just guitars. so let the kick and bass sit nicely first...work on that as step 1. then, once those are meshing, bring in the guitars with that high pass filter and see how it sits. You may need to cut a little more of the bass freq's on the guitar's amp head EQ, just a small notch. let the guitar live in the mids. it'll still be heavy and chunky. simultaneously, cut some of those mids out of the bass and kick. right now, i can't really hear the bass guitar (i am listening on work buds, however. but it's still usually identifiable). when i am making heavier tones, and i can't hear the bass...it's because the mids of it are clogging up the lows and highs of the instrument. this may not work exactly the same way for you, but i use an aggressive cut in the mids of the bass. I mean like 10db with a wide Q around 650hz...this lets the low end rumble and top end polish it off. the things in between just clutter the mix up. let me know when you have something new after messing around a bit.

i have a similar setup, so i'd be glad to help you out getting there. PM if you need. later

Actually I recorded 3 guitars each side...
But thanks for the tips.

Awesome! Performances are really tight, then That's a good beginning. :) Once begun, half done. Or so they say!
Just let each have it's own space. Find where each sounds nice and give it that space, say one guitar gets a 3dB nudge at 700, another at 900, the third at 1200. Or whatever seems to work best. Then as Andruskiwt said, hi-pass them all (or run them through a bus that's hi-passed and maybe low pass a few. You'll see a big difference. Each will sound thin and semi-awful by itself, but the combination should shine in the mix.
Happy Recording :D

Guitars have too much gain dialed in. Maybe that's what goes in that genre. But to me it's too much fizz.

The guitars didn't seem to lock in well with the kick. The mix is all kick and guitars, and to me they didn't gel.

Back