The blues had a baby

You're better on drums than I am on guitar. And you're better on guitar than I am at anything.

See what others say, but it feels a little upper mid-ranges here. I think it's the rhythm gits that are doing it. Or maybe a smidge more bass, but again, don't take my word for it. All the tones sound great as it's a clear, articulate mix. I think I just want more lowmids somewhere.

Nice work

Thanks chris. You are probably exactly right. I have a tendency to cut too much in the 250 to 500 range...to keep things from being muddy. I haven't really labored over this mix yet though. I'm trying to figure out what I want, performance wise and guitar tone wise, before I really get in depth with the mix. I dont know if you've ever spent hours mixing something and then realized you're not happy with the performance or not.
I have...more than once.

I just don't know on this one yet. That why im trying to bounce it off a few ears.

I dont know if you've ever spent hours mixing something and then realized you're not happy with the performance or not.
I have...more than once.

Yeah, that never happens to me because I always get it perfect the first time. Proof of that is the fact that I just posted a ten year old song that I previously performed too slowly and in the wrong key, lol

And if you're still working on tones, I'd love to hear what your rhythm gits sound like just a little dirtier and warmer. That's more of a personal preference I generally have. I thought the lead tone was great

I, too, think there's some warmth from low mids missing. It would most likely help fill it out, ya? Great playing all around man! Vox too, really really good

Guitar playing is top shelf but yeah be interesting to hear them a bit grubbier. Great vocal dude, really suits the style

I won't be able to articulate what you did specifically, but that sounds a lot better to me.

Spill it. What'd you do?

I won't be able to articulate what you did specifically, but that sounds a lot better to me.

Spill it. What'd you do?

Thanks chris.
I recut the bass guitar and the rythym guitar, on the left side, that plays along with the bassline. I originally played the bass and the guitar to the click and added the drums afterwords. The groove wasnt gelling so I just replayed the guitar and the bass. I put a more dirty sound on that rythym guitar and eq'd more low/mid into the bass guitar. I knocked off some high end and put some more low/mid into the guitar on the right side that plays a counter riff to the bassline. I cut some low mid from the other guitar on the right side that does the quick stab accents...thinned it up a bit to stand out on its own in the mix. I took some reverb off the snare, I bumped up the reverb a tad on the vocals and the lead guitar. I also found a frequency on the bass drum that I liked and bumped it up.

Thanks chris.
I recut the bass guitar and the rythym guitar, on the left side, that plays along with the bassline. I originally played the bass and the guitar to the click and added the drums afterwords. The groove wasnt gelling so I just replayed the guitar and the bass. I put a more dirty sound on that rythym guitar and eq'd more low/mid into the bass guitar. I knocked off some high end and put some more low/mid into the guitar on the right side that plays a counter riff to the bassline. I cut some low mid from the other guitar on the right side that does the quick stab accents...thinned it up a bit to stand out on its own in the mix. I took some reverb off the snare, I bumped up the reverb a tad on the vocals and the lead guitar. I also found a frequency on the bass drum that I liked and bumped it up.

see...now that's some mixing right there.

This sounds exceptional. Great blues cover.
Keeping the drums simple really fits the blues well, so your one dreaded instrument isn't hurting this mix at all. You've miked and mixed them quite well. Kick could use just a bit more ringout (less muffle) for blues. Other than that, pretty stellar.
Love all the guitar tones. The one on the right is just a tad wet (to my ear), and it seems louder toward the end than at the beginning. That's a seems because I'm pretty certain it isn't, but as your ear gets used to it, your brain brings it forward...not sure how to combat that, and again, it may be just my ears.

Mix 2 is a definite improvement. Mix 1 was clean to the point of sterility. Mix 2 is much better.

Not much to complain about on mix 2.

Lead tone is just a wee bit harsh. Lead vocal is a bit harsh too. Easy to take care of with a small amount EQ in the 2400hz range. Very narrow and very small.

There is a tom roll that jumps out a bit. On a pop song, that'd be fine. But not on this tune.

Minor complaints. Very nice.

Sounds good Jimi. I did notice that the groove was slightly hesitant on the first version. This is more solid. What I'm finding from collaborating online with a drummer (ibleedburgundy) is that the bass nearly always needs to be retracked once the drums are added, and often the guitars too. If I were a drummer and doing it all myself, I think my procedure would be: Rhythm guitars => drums => bass => vocals => lead guitars. Anyway, good tones and great singing as always.

I hope you are back on the board. How are the rockin' refugees getting along?

This sounds exceptional. Great blues cover.
Keeping the drums simple really fits the blues well, so your one dreaded instrument isn't hurting this mix at all. You've miked and mixed them quite well. Kick could use just a bit more ringout (less muffle) for blues. Other than that, pretty stellar.
Love all the guitar tones. The one on the right is just a tad wet (to my ear), and it seems louder toward the end than at the beginning. That's a seems because I'm pretty certain it isn't, but as your ear gets used to it, your brain brings it forward...not sure how to combat that, and again, it may be just my ears.
Thanks broken.
I haven't automated the mix yet and there's still some little details, like you pointed out, that I need to fix.
Mix 2 is a definite improvement. Mix 1 was clean to the point of sterility. Mix 2 is much better.

Not much to complain about on mix 2.

Lead tone is just a wee bit harsh. Lead vocal is a bit harsh too. Easy to take care of with a small amount EQ in the 2400hz range. Very narrow and very small.

There is a tom roll that jumps out a bit. On a pop song, that'd be fine. But not on this tune.

Minor complaints. Very nice.
Thanks M.
I'll give that frequency tweek a try

Sounds good Jimi. I did notice that the groove was slightly hesitant on the first version. This is more solid. What I'm finding from collaborating online with a drummer (ibleedburgundy) is that the bass nearly always needs to be retracked once the drums are added, and often the guitars too. If I were a drummer and doing it all myself, I think my procedure would be: Rhythm guitars => drums => bass => vocals => lead guitars. Anyway, good tones and great singing as always.

I hope you are back on the board. How are the rockin' refugees getting along?
Thanks robus.
It's tough to lay down one instrument at a time and really have a good groove. I usually have to redo the rhythm guitar and bass tracks. Seems like you're having more luck with IBB that I am. I haven't been able to get them to play on my track yet.
I guess I'm destined to be a one-man band.
lol

I listened to mix #2. Really like how you got the drums on this one. The whole kit sounds great.

Guitar tones and playing are exceptional as always. If I were to change anything, I'd work on panning of the guitars. There is a kind of syncopation going on with the two rhythm guitar parts. I think the parts would work well together in mono, but spread far apart to each side kind of feels like a tennis match. Then the tremolo guitar comes in on top of the left guitar.

If you weere to ask me, I would approach it slightly different. I'd keep the right channel rhythm guitar where it is at as far as level, maybe pan it in a little closer. I'd lower the left channel rhythm guitar down in level and let it sit in the background. Then I'd bring the tremolo guitar a little closer to center.

I would also bring the bass up a bit, but only because I love a good blues bass. :)

Love what you got here, man. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds good man!

I like the vocal sound. There is noticeable reverb but I like it here.

Tight rhythm guitar swing rhythms. Real nice solos - great soul there. I love the subtle little licks coming between the vocals.

Drums match the guitar swing nicely - most of the time, but early in the track there is a spot or two where the drums aren't totally on board. Then I think you got in the pocket a bit later.

Mix-wise, I like it. I think the balance is fine. Maybe the lead could use a touch more mid range meatiness. But that's nitpicking.

One last thing - at the end of the song I can hear some guitar noise from your lead. It's like you're setting the guitar down or something. I am real big on endings - because it's the last thing people hear.

Back