Blondie - Call Me (cover)

Chili

Site Moderator
I rarely do covers and when I do, I don't share them with ANYONE. But....

I was listening to some old tunes on You Tube with my daughter some weeks ago and we came across this song. She loved it!! So, I recorded it for her and she sang it. She was going to do the solo on her violin and I wrote out the notes for her. But when she saw it, she was like No Way!! I don't know if I can play all those triplets. lol. So, I put the solo in a midi part and played it with the Miroslav Philharmonic VST. We might do a video. but now she's backing out of that plan.

Remember, she's only 9.

View attachment Call Me.mp3

This actually sounds incredible...

great backing track, it's kind of impressive that you done something sounding so professional when it sounds like just a spur of the moment kind of thing.

Great work, both of you :)

Really cool cover dobro. Sound like she had fun singing it. I agree that the backing tracks sound really good.
Great cover of a pretty tough song to sing.. a lot of talent all the way around.

Haha this pretty cool Chili. It's a little off-putting to hear a child sing this song, but I know it's all in fun and I'm not that much a prude. At least you got her doing something from a good band and not some Iggy Azalea shit.

Anyway, the backing music track seems awfully canned. The drums, the guitars, it's all really hot and processed sim/sample sounding. The master limiting is pretty rough IMO. But! These are all things you can fix and I think your little girl did a great job overall. I think you've heard my kids' christmas songs, so I can relate to recording kids.:D

Really cool cover dobro. Sound like she had fun singing it. I agree that the backing tracks sound really good.
Great cover of a pretty tough song to sing.. a lot of talent all the way around.

Crazy.jpg
When did Chili become Dobro? :laughings: (You sharing some dat?)

Anyway, great fun Chil. My grandkids aren't ready for that yet, but the 9 year old wants to play drums and guitar and anything else that makes easy noise...theory, meh not so much. :)

View attachment 93488
When did Chili become Dobro? :laughings: (You sharing some dat?)

Anyway, great fun Chil. My grandkids aren't ready for that yet, but the 9 year old wants to play drums and guitar and anything else that makes easy noise...theory, meh not so much. :)

Hahaha
Sorry Chili. I had reviewed one of dobros songs earlier and guess I just had that name on my brain.
Can you ever forgive me?

Hey thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I'm not sure I'll tell my daughter I posted it up for others to listen to, she'll probably freak out a little.

Yeah, I saw the Dobro comment earlier and laughed. I've been called worse things than that here. :D Nice graphic from BH, though.

Hey Greg, yeah, the master limiter is slammed pretty hard on this one. The drums are EZD, there's a pad synth and the violin from the Philharmonic VST; the rest is me and the kid. Knowing that you've posted up a few songs with your girls before made me a little more comfortable posting this one up.

Here's the funny thing, earlier today she says she wants to retrack the vocals because she thinks she can do better. LOVE IT!!!! :cool:

I'm listening to it and going 'jeez she sounds like a kid'. Turns out she's 9. Everything's good.

I think that limiter is the biggest problem here. The song came out so loud!

Good for you guys doing something like this together.

Love the 80's!

This must have been fun for both of you. She did really well...a little pitchy obviously but for 9? Awesome!

I had my son and daughter play a song in my studio with me. I bet she was around 9 at the time. I was impressed that the three of us were able to play (at least get through) the song Maps by the Yeah, Yeah, Yeah's. I decided to do a quick recording of it. When we were done I played it back and that might have been a mistake. She had a sick look on her face and said, "We are not very good."

Been hard to get her out there ever since!

It's fun though isn't it? Sounds like she has the bug!

Rick

Here's the funny thing, earlier today she says she wants to retrack the vocals because she thinks she can do better. LOVE IT!!!! :cool:

You just introduced her to a lifetime of frustration, well done! ;)

Sounds like you both had a good time doing it, and it was a good fun listen. Nearly blew my speakers though as whatever I was listening to last (Broken_H's tune I think) was nowhere near as loud!

Thanks again for all the great comments and encouragement. I'll dial back the limiter a bit, but probably won't post another version unless I retrack the kid.

If you have the opportunity to include your family with your music, try to do so. It's so cool to see what they bring to the process. Next project is Tuxedo Junction, ala Joe Jackson, for my son.

She had a sick look on her face and said, "We are not very good."

Ha!! Too funny. Last Christmas we made a Christmas greeting video and at the end, you can see my daughter mutter, "That was horrible". :laughings:

great job by your daughter....hope she continues on this musical journey... went through this with my daughter starting when she was around 11 years( vocals/guitars) ... add a bit of quick echo to her vocs and see if she likes it .. mine always did

Back