Blippity Blop

lineland

Just did this first draft of a light little synth-pop instrumental thing a few nights ago. Kind of reminds me of maybe a Postal Service sort of track. I would love to hear what anyone thinks so far and if you have any suggestions.

I'm not really a fan of many of the patch choices, sounds a bit too retro (which is coming across to my ears as being weak, with little impact). The bass patch in particular is too low tech.

The composition is fine.

Thanks for the listen. Yeah, I kind of built this around some retro analog synths and listen to a lot of retro-inspired stuff. So it was deliberate.

Did you find there was a good mix/balance on a technical level? Any suggestions what you might do differently in the mix with the same recording to give it a flavor that's more appealing to you?

Last edited:
For what's there you did a good job, the movement of some of the synth parts in the sound field helped.

Retro meets dubstep maybe. I don't mind the older patches at all.
The constant panning is tiring though.

I think there is a bit too much of the back-and-forth stuff going across the stereo spread.

Since it's an instrumental, you need to be constantly doing things to keep up interest. The moves a bit too slow.

The levels on things sound pretty good.

What's a Postal Service track?

Postal Service is an indie synth pop band that has kind of a quirky retro sound to them. (The Postal Service - Such Great Heights - YouTube) Not at exact match for what I was doing, but I think I had some elements of that in my head when I made the track.

Thanks for the feedback on the stereo image. I think maybe I was using that to generate some sonic interest but got a little carried away, haha.

Thanks for the feedback on the composition, too. Would be open to suggestions on what you think could help make it more interesting in your opinion.

Thanks for the feedback on the stereo image. I think maybe I was using that to generate some sonic interest but got a little carried away, haha.

This is partly preference, I like busy delays and pans (although I tend to not do much active panning like this in my own mixes). Maybe instead of literally panning, a wide chorusing effect would be better?

I think the point about adding some more spice into the mix to break things up would help, even if they're only for brief moments. There is a kind of sameness through much of the song.

Back