Black Night - Deep Purple Cover

Seafroggys

So here's my latest song thrown together hastily where I play everything.

Disclaimer, I am primarily a drummer and a keyboardist secondary, so everything else is n00bish at best. So my bass, guitar, and singing is something left to be desired....but anyway, this is about the mix, right? Check it out, yo!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8947934

So here's my latest song thrown together hastily where I play everything.

Disclaimer, I am primarily a drummer and a keyboardist secondary, so everything else is n00bish at best. So my bass, guitar, and singing is something left to be desired....but anyway, this is about the mix, right? Check it out, yo!

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8947934

Man, cool cover choice...dig the drums, pretty true to the original...as a guitarist, I was craving those crazy Blackmore wammy bar things during the solo and guitar fills.....organ was cool, maybe not a Jon Lord sound, but not bad either, vocals were cool....again big shoes to fill but you did good imho...I dug this, again, just miss the whammy bar strat action:p......I think Im gonna go abuse my strat for awhile now:D Nice job!!!

I loved it, it sounds great.

You've a really good voice, especially for this style. But the pitching is all over the place. I'd suggest retracking with pitching being the main thing on your mind, OR pitch correction like Melodyne or Autotune.

Also, the first guitar solo was ok, but the timing of the lead guitar was a bit out.

Other than that, rockin :drunk:

Man, cool cover choice...dig the drums, pretty true to the original...as a guitarist, I was craving those crazy Blackmore wammy bar things during the solo and guitar fills.....organ was cool, maybe not a Jon Lord sound, but not bad either, vocals were cool....again big shoes to fill but you did good imho...I dug this, again, just miss the whammy bar strat action:p......I think Im gonna go abuse my strat for awhile now:D Nice job!!!

Thanks. I will say that is a "fake" guitar. I played it on bass, raised it an octave, than reamped it into my guitar amp. I can't play guitar to save my life (hate the small strings, and can't use a pick) so its the only way I could do it. Came out quite good though. So that's why I don't have any cool whammy action. Yeah, especially on this song, Blackmore went crazy with the whammy.

I debated reamping the organ vsti into the amp as well to get a bit more crunch into it, but I decided to let it be. The solo doesn't really stick out as much as I'd like, but what can you do?

You've a really good voice, especially for this style. But the pitching is all over the place. I'd suggest retracking with pitching being the main thing on your mind, OR pitch correction like Melodyne or Autotune.

Also, the first guitar solo was ok, but the timing of the lead guitar was a bit out.

Yeah my pitchiness is way off at places. I did several takes too, that was about the best I could pull it off. I may go back and do some manual pitch corrections, as I'm no fan of autotune (or in my case, GSnap). But thank you for your compliment about my vocal tone. I've been getting better at singing in recent months, so that means a lot. If I ever get a better keyboard I should do my arrangement of Soldier of Fortune for you guys.

About the timing, is that just the first solo or is it the whole guitar track?

Yeah my pitchiness is way off at places. I did several takes too, that was about the best I could pull it off. I may go back and do some manual pitch corrections, as I'm no fan of autotune (or in my case, GSnap). But thank you for your compliment about my vocal tone. I've been getting better at singing in recent months, so that means a lot. If I ever get a better keyboard I should do my arrangement of Soldier of Fortune for you guys.

About the timing, is that just the first solo or is it the whole guitar track?

I'd advise doing THE track. As in, no multiple takes and then comping. Record bit by bit, if it doesn't sound right, delete it and do it again. I always find this is handier than takes+comping when I'm recording myself. Plus it means that you know you have everything perfect when you stop recording. As opposed to having multiple takes but missing usable parts.

So track the vocal, listen back, if it's out of pitch anywhere, punch in and redo :)

And I meant the timing in the first solo.

Yeah, I'll try giving a new vocal track a go sometime in the near future. I'm actually kinda pleased with the second verse, that only may need some tweaking to get the pitchiness down.

Anybody else?

Nobody new, just me again. Just wanted to pop in and tell you that I want to hear the new-and-improved version... soon :spank:

:D

Hey froggy,

This sounds pretty good overall. Biggest issue for me is the pitch on the vocals...the sound of your voice is cool for this kind of thing, but the pitch was off enough to be an issue.

On the plus side, I like the overall mix. The drums sound good, the organ sounds very nice and I think the mix has great clarity. Bass is punchy and tight.

I think I may have this tune on vinyl somewhere...? I haven't listened to this band much since I was a youngster, but it sounds like highway star era material...from the same album maybe? Pretty obscure to be sure.

Thanks for sharing this.

The timing feels a bit rushed during the riff. The vocal is a bit pitchy. The drums sound good.I'd have preferred the mix a bit more aggressive and in the face. Good cover though

Wooo, redid some vocals, did some manual pitch correction here and there. Its better, although now I think I'm too sharp in the first verse. Oh well!

I think I may have this tune on vinyl somewhere...? I haven't listened to this band much since I was a youngster, but it sounds like highway star era material...from the same album maybe? Pretty obscure to be sure.

This was actually a single, it came out in the In Rock era (1970). It was included on the remastered In Rock CD in the mid 90's. But it was never on an LP. I wouldn't call it obscure, as it is Deep Purple's highest charting single. This is usually their encore song, this and usually Hush (they close their main set with Smoke on the Water if I recall).

Wooo, redid some vocals, did some manual pitch correction here and there. Its better, although now I think I'm too sharp in the first verse. Oh well!

Agreed, I thought the first verse sounded sharp throughout. Not sure though. Better overall, but I think you could get it closer if you wanted to keep trying...still sounds good though.

This was actually a single, it came out in the In Rock era (1970). It was included on the remastered In Rock CD in the mid 90's. But it was never on an LP. I wouldn't call it obscure, as it is Deep Purple's highest charting single. This is usually their encore song, this and usually Hush (they close their main set with Smoke on the Water if I recall).

My bad. Shows how much I know :o :).

I checked and I have shades of deep purple, the book of taliesyn and who do we think we are. Obviously this ain't on any of 'em.

I can't believe this was their highest charting single? I mean, most people wouldn't know this song by name at all and only the guitar riffs were familar to me. Smoke on the water? Hush? Kentucky Woman? Woman from Tokyo? I guess they all just had more staying power than this number...live and learn :).

Back