Better Me Better You

this is a nice mix.
it's clean, nice tones on all the guitars,
bass is clear and present without mud...

reminds me vaguely of a george harrison tune....

at first i thought 'more harmonies, needs some harmonies', but after the 2nd time thru, changed my mind,
works like it is.

it's a very straightforward arrangement, not really much stretching out there,
it feels...... too safe,
but it's a nice song.

In general it sounds pretty good.

The first thing that struck me was that the instrument tracks were all crystal clear, but the vocal was difficult to distinguish. I'm not sure if it's a recording thing, or a singing-style thing. But it was noticeable to me.

The low end was a bit strong. Mostly because of the bass. I liked the tone, it was just a bit loud. Kick sounded great to me. Nice and tight.

Ok thanks for that. The vocal is just a mumbling thing. I struggle to even talk clearly...it takes a lot of energy to annunciate clearly and I tend to drawl in speech somewhat...so I have no chance at all in singing. The advice on the bass is noted, I can do something about that, no worries.

Thank you

Thanks a lot mate...I think it's one of my better mixes...I mean it's ok...still room to improve with the tools I have.

I was planning to make a thread about little things that I feel have improved my ability to mix...such as...you know that trick lots of people teach when you use a sharp Q and sweep around looking for ugly sounds? Well I reckon there's a tendency to overdo this...the more you sweep around trying to notch things out...the more problem areas you seem to find. Anyway, that's just one of the things I was gonna comment on. I have been finding that doing less is more, as they say.

Back