Beginner Death Metal artist

natevel

Hey I'm new to mixing, I'm just doing it in my parents basment with a firestudio. So I need some advise because I feel like I'm not doing something I maybe should, or I'm doing something horribly wrong. I just want an opinion from other people and I would appreciate any feedback to make it sound better, thanks.

Attachments

• song_3.mp3
    5.6 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I like death metal but it's hard to hear what's going on at all. How was this recorded?

Nothing fancy, just a presonus firestudio with Ableton Live 8 and mackie monitors, CAD drum mics and an MXL condenser mic. I recorded the drums first, then guitars over it, and vocals last. This is my first attempt at actually recording and mixing a demo myself myself so what do you mean it's hard to tell what's going on? Is it like too muddy or something? I'm thinking it's over compressed now that I hear it though, do you think that's true?

I'm afraid I'm a noob in mixing (though I'm trying really hard to get good at the mo) so can only say what my ears are telling me but from my opinion it all melds into one and makes it sound like a live recording from the back of the room. If you youtube some of decapitated's newer stuff you can see how all the parts are really clear and stand out.

Your kick drum sound is about right, it's gotta be really clicky for death metal. Don't like the snare sound. The guitars and bass seem to merge into each other and sound low bitrate or recorded from a distance. Did you record with amps mic-ed up or DIed? I've never had much luck recording with amps mic-ed up. Guitar rig has loads of cool settings and can be a good jump off point.

Anyway as I said I'm new to mixing so maybe someone can give you better advice but that's my thoughts on it.

Try mixing in mono - or click the mono switch on your DAW. that'll make it clear how much each instrument is stomping on the others.
Beginner Death is a great name for a metal band.

Back