The beggar

Ashway

The beggar (Updated AGAIN)

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Song is no more available!

Last edited:
Pretty good mix. The instruments give each other appropriate space pretty consistently.

There's a bit of sibilance and one or two lip smacks on the lead vox tho.

I dig the bass tone and the subtle synth.

Listening on HPs. Mix is very good. I thought it on the bright side, not a lot and probably more of a taste thing.

I didn't hear the lip smacking or sibilance that I thought required attention. Steve probably has a better ear than I do.

Nice tune, really first class recording and performance.

Seems a little bright on my headphones (referencing ziggy stardust). Really like the intro aahs. Sounds like a great mix.

Thank you guys for commenting! I´m glad it turned out pretty alright.

Seems a little bright on my headphones (referencing ziggy stardust). Really like the intro aahs. Sounds like a great mix.

Well, it´s too bright for my macbook air speakers at least so I´m guessing you´re right. Thanks again!

NV sounds good to me (on HPs). Reduction is good. Everything is clear and nothing piercing the ears. To me, it is ready for public consumption. Nice mix.

I listened to the new version.

It has trademark SC cymbal-swirl.

I like the singer's voice. I'd like just a bit more low-mid energy. It's a little thin.

Electric guitars sound OK.

Acoustic guitar is a bit tough to hear. All that comes through is the higher end. I might just leave it out.

Bass sounds good.

Listening to the new version, bright for my taste, but everything is clear. Maybe adding back some of the acoustic guitar's wood/body would help. I might drop the 'aahs' down a little, they obscure whatever is happening at same time- keys?

Ok guys. The acc guitar seems to be the main problem. But I'll try lowering the aahs as well and then making just a tad adjustment on the brightness issue.

Ok, here's my last version before I release it or take it to a pro studio or something. See the first post. :)

Thanks all for being a great community. :)

Oh. It took me a minute to find the new mix. It's lined in the OP.

Maybe it's not vocal pops, on a second listen. 0:38 in the instrumental break after the first line.
It may also not even really be sibilance. It could just be a tad much brightness emphasizing the Ss.

Or both of those issues could just be low-quality SC compression!
(Which is why no matter how much people complain about it, I'm gonna keep posting my songs as both mp3 and Flac :P )

Oh. It took me a minute to find the new mix. It's lined in the OP.

Maybe it's not vocal pops, on a second listen. 0:38 in the instrumental break after the first line.
It may also not even really be sibilance. It could just be a tad much brightness emphasizing the Ss.

Or both of those issues could just be low-quality SC compression!
(Which is why no matter how much people complain about it, I'm gonna keep posting my songs as both mp3 and Flac :P )

Been on a long trip. Just wanted to say thanks for the post. But as of now I feel it's ready as a demo and I really don't have the skill or energy to get my mixes sounding pro I think.

Listening to the 3rd mix. There's still a pop at 0:38, so that's probably not Soundcloud. Might want to check your source tracks for those to see where they come from.

This is pretty great. I think the acoustic guitar is at a good level its subtle but it adds a lot. Has a pretty professional sound overall if you ask me.

Back