Beck - Pay No Mind Cover

rocknrollstar

New mix - this time I've recorded alot quieter. The mix does sound quiet, however the correct way is get it even in mixing, get it louder in mastering right?

Can I get some thoughts on it?

Used a large diaphragm condenser on acoustic guitar, one foot out, angled at 45 degrees-ish and pointing towards the neck/soundhole join (slightly angled towards neck, say 10 degrees)

Double tracked acoustic, hard L and R. Minimal EQ. Same procedure (and mic) for vocals.

Thoughts please, c4c as well.

Attachments

• NEW COVER LDC Pay No Mind 4.mp3
    2 MB · Views: 16
New mix - this time I've recorded a lot quieter. The mix does sound quiet, however the correct way is get it even in mixing, get it louder in mastering right?

That's how I do it, yeah, but then again I'm not aiming at loud outcomes with my music anyway. Neither are you.

Used a large diaphragm condenser on acoustic guitar, one foot out, angled at 45 degrees-ish and pointing towards the neck/soundhole join (slightly angled towards neck, say 10 degrees)

When I mic acoustics, I put a condenser about a foot directly out from the 12th fret aiming right at the neck. That way the soundhole's off-axis to the mic and it cuts the boominess of the soundhole. But you got a good sound on the acoustic on this one. (I also put a SDC a foot out straight onto the bridge. That way I can pan the two if I want and have more elbow room dialing in a tone I like. But like I said, I like the sound you got here, so no worries.)

Double tracked acoustic, hard L and R. Minimal EQ. Same procedure (and mic) for vocals.

Three things here: the doubled acoustic is way bigger than the vocal in the middle. I think you'd be ahead if you used one guitar track only, panned it 20 left and panned the vocal 20 right. If you did that it would sound like the singer's playing the guitar, but as it is now, the guitar part outsizes the vocal. Second, you're singing it like it's a folk song, but for a Beck song I think you have to sound twisted if you want it to work. It's just one opinion, but this one would have worked better if you'd chosen different material. Finally, the vocal's pretty dry. How about some space on it?

Thoughts please, c4c as well.

What's c4c?

That's how I do it, yeah, but then again I'm not aiming at loud outcomes with my music anyway. Neither are you.

When I mic acoustics, I put a condenser about a foot directly out from the 12th fret aiming right at the neck. That way the soundhole's off-axis to the mic and it cuts the boominess of the soundhole. But you got a good sound on the acoustic on this one. (I also put a SDC a foot out straight onto the bridge. That way I can pan the two if I want and have more elbow room dialing in a tone I like. But like I said, I like the sound you got here, so no worries.)

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised with the tone I got. I guess I shouldnt worry about volume (I mean, turn the speakers up right?) but there is a sort of accepted listening volume I hear, in my mind anyway.

Three things here: the doubled acoustic is way bigger than the vocal in the middle. I think you'd be ahead if you used one guitar track only, panned it 20 left and panned the vocal 20 right. If you did that it would sound like the singer's playing the guitar, but as it is now, the guitar part outsizes the vocal. Second, you're singing it like it's a folk song, but for a Beck song I think you have to sound twisted if you want it to work. It's just one opinion, but this one would have worked better if you'd chosen different material. Finally, the vocal's pretty dry. How about some space on it?

1.) Good point - see attached mix - what do you reckon?
2.) Tbh I only chose this song to test my recording technique and because I knew all the words. I sound better doing Gamma Ray but don't know it inside/out yeah. I agree with you on this point.
3.) Put some reverb on this mix - it's basically gtr and vox (L and R 20 per cent each) then two sends hard L and R of the vox and gtr w some reverb etc - what'd you make of it?
4.) Provide any advice on de-essing? - tried Spitfish and watched a few Youtube vids on it, but it's done nothing for me. I definitely hear the odd S and T on this vocal.

What's c4c?

Crit for Crit. You know, if you want to post something I'll give it a listen - don't want to be all take and no give.

Thank you for listening and responding to this thread by the way.

Attachments

• NEW COVER LDC Pay No Mind 5.mp3
    2 MB · Views: 3
I think the guitars sound a bit better, a bit fuller, but it might be my imagination - I'd have to A/B the two mixes. But the main contour of the mix sounds the same, with the two panned acoustics and the vocal in the middle. Just for an experiment try one guitar, one voice, each panned a little off center. Whatcha think?

I think the guitars sound a bit better, a bit fuller, but it might be my imagination - I'd have to A/B the two mixes. But the main contour of the mix sounds the same, with the two panned acoustics and the vocal in the middle. Just for an experiment try one guitar, one voice, each panned a little off center. Whatcha think?

The mix I previously attached was that.

Gtr 20 per cent left
Vox 20 per cent right
Gtr then put on an aux w delay and reverb, mixed low and panned hard L for thickness + air
Vox same as above but hard right

Does it sound different to you?

Internet is working a little better today so might start reading up on de-esser - don't know if it's the accent, but if I say "S" or "T" one more time I'll snap haha

Back