banjo ditty...erased banjo, added vocals

mixmkr

we don't need rest!!
welp... added vocals to the "ditty". This is what I heard for vocals over this one. The banjo just didn't seem to fit in behind the singing, so it got left out. Maybe the song makes more sense now, structural wise.

The song title 'might' suggest the genre;)

Lord I ask(was banjo ditty)

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/9/1322/album43.shtml

if you listened...thanks for the repetive listens you have put up with this song. Mucho appreciato :)

oh...and for those that are into lyrics... I really tried to stay away from the "preachy, you must be a Christian or else" kind of lyrics. This was a thank you song, nothing else.

PSYCHE!... ...I thought you were singing on this man.....:mad: :mad: :D

..Have you posted this version before? I know ive heard this chic sing your stuff before. ...she has a nice voice btw, she sounds easy to track too. That fuzz guitar sounding synth is nice in this. Very tastefully produced/recorded piece man. You rock this synth stuff... ...enough but not too much. Very clean job on this.
gw/5

Sounds nice. You have a nice voice. What kind of pitch shifter did you use :p ;) :D.

I like it. Laid back. Nice, but not heavy, message.

Seriously, she has a nice voice.

this is me leaving, since I am of no more use here :D

Nice job

Well... it's louder... :p

...is it burnable? maybe...

It's your narrator... aw. :) Was looking forward to that mixmkr growl a'la "What A Difference" ;)

Something like " :mad: LOOOO-O-O-O-ORD!! BLESS MY MUSIIIIIIC!!! :mad:"

No banjo at all?? :eek: :(

You know... those electronic percussion thingies... really Madonna-Shep Pettibone-like production... it's like "Vogue" for Jesus, or something. Even the speaking part fits that :D

But, the banjo's dead :(

BTW good idea about the religious stuff... it's a choice to be laid at one's feet ... not crammed down a throat.

-C

(edit) Maybe put the banjo in there, low, during the spoken part?

yeah, bring back the banj0......gotta love the banjar........

very intricate mix and very well put together......the voice is very smooth on this one.........a nice verb

good work

clean as a kid's plastic pocket whistle

Listening in Window Media Player the song starts instantly, there is no leader, thus the very first note sounds like a choke, that's the only way I can describe it. Gimmie 2 seconds of silence in the beginning please, I believe that is the industry standard, correct me if I'm wrong.

As this is my third listening I'm thinking Arron Copeland, wide open spaces, vistas of mountains and plains, it's breezy. Well mixed, all of the instrument levels. So you listen to Vangelis ? Very tasteful.

Vocal comes in at a perfect level, my preference of course is a little more volume on the vocal, maybe just 1 or 2db higher. There are a few places where there is some competition with her vocal in the beginning. You may never compete with a vocal of this quality, it is unforgivable. If there is any question at all, lower the instruments, don't guess, be conservative with the instruments when approaching her voice on the meters. Watch those meters, don't trust your ears completely.

Your electronic instruments are line-level, she is an acoustic instrument and a very special acoustic instrument.

The keyboard fills in between her phrasing sound a little rumble-crunchy, that keyboard sound sounds kind of like a type of thunder mixed with grand ? I'd make it a little more musical, IMHO.

1:17 that key entry is a touch to loud as it occurs exactly with the beginning of her phrase on the downbeat.

1:26 was perfect level between voice and this keylike instrument on the downbeat, but you could lower it further. It's not really an instrument at this point, it is a rythmic device, a musical tool. She's the music since ya took the banjer out.

The sound you have created for the guitar in the solo is absolutely unique, I've never heard anything quite like it before. It's very noble sounding, like a panning shot up the wall of a castle.

At 2:33 this entrance is the perfect vocal level, I realize she is supporting a bit more here.

At 2:54 the singer is becoming very absorbed in what she is doing and is becoming introspective, she's losing volume here getting very soft, she is waxing emotionally, really feeling what she's doing. Don't bring the vocal up here. start bringing the instruments down around 2:54, as I think you've probably done somewhat already, but make the reduction in the instruments dramatic here, so that that typanny roll can really grab us without stepping on her vocal. You have even more opportunity here than you think to get quiet before the tympanny roll. As far as I'm concerned you could take the instruments out completely during that little section and use it as an accapella section, that would be very, very dramatic. I'm talking about the section from 2:54 to 3:10.

It's clean as a kid's plastic pocket whistle, great job.

Geez, sounds good to me. Although I also wouldn't mind hearing it with the banjo.

Hey mix, sorry if you covered this in one of the other threads about this song, but just out of curiosity - how much of this is real instruments? Mainly I'm hearing keycoard sounds - and I know there's a guitar in there. What about the drums? Bass?

Nice sound you've got going. Very "smooth 80s" - I couldn't even come close if I were to try to capture this style, and I can appreciate the craft that went into this.

Chris

Back