Bad Dreams II

Bulls Hit

I posted a version of this a couple of weeks ago and got some inciteful feedback that helped clean it up.

I've been trying to get more melody into my jams so I added vocals to this one. Let me know if the levels sound off, or any feedback at all..

Last edited:
Your song is dying a brutal death by mastering. It's difficult to listen to. Show it some mercy.

Otherwise it could be an interesting song. Guitars sound good.

I don't know that the vocals are doing you many favors here. I think vox more in the style of The Locust would match better.
(reference song: YouTube)

Last edited:
I must be listening to the second version sans limiter. You pack a lot into under 3 minutes. Very interesting. I'm only on my laptop at the moment so can't really give you mix feedback - I think the vocals sound OK and I'd advise you to ignore VHS's new found obsession with The Locust! :laughings:

I would remove the 'distortion' part, or at least dial it down, the indie part sounds good though( the calm and clean). I think the distorted parts are kinda ruining the song :/.

I like it a lot. Love the tempo change. When I get done with my 2 guitar projects I would love to put some guitar on one of your tunes.

I must be listening to the second version sans limiter. You pack a lot into under 3 minutes. Very interesting. I'm only on my laptop at the moment so can't really give you mix feedback - I think the vocals sound OK and I'd advise you to ignore VHS's new found obsession with The Locust! :laughings:

It's not so much an obsession as that it seemed entirely an appropriate reference here, and by the time I got to posting to TRR, I was deep in a Youtube rabbit hole! :D

Schmastering seems less extreme than before. Interesting song. What kind of effect is that that's giving the whole mix a wholly texture? Some kind of tube emulation effect on the mix bux? Can't say I care for it. I take it the intelligibility of your lyrics isn't a big priority? I wasn't able understand much. Much better than before.

Thanks Armistice. And yes that's very good advice..

I would remove the 'distortion' part, or at least dial it down, the indie part sounds good though( the calm and clean). I think the distorted parts are kinda ruining the song :/.

You mean the synth? I went for nasty to contrast with the cleaner guitars. Trouble is if I get rid of those bits, there's not much left. Thanks for giving it a spin

Schmastering seems less extreme than before. Interesting song. What kind of effect is that that's giving the whole mix a wholly texture? Some kind of tube emulation effect on the mix bux? Can't say I care for it. I take it the intelligibility of your lyrics isn't a big priority? I wasn't able understand much. Much better than before.

I don't have any effects on the 2-bus. I'll go back and check if I've left something on the stove. I am using tube pres on everything except kick and toms, maybe that's what you're hearing.. Interesting about the intelligibility - I wasn't deliberately trying to muffle them, maybe my diction's just not that good. Thanks for all your help with this one Robus

Oh alright then. You're right, I've put up another version that doesn't even touch the limiter

Dude, this sounds way better. The loudest parts are still getting crunched pretty hard, but overall it's really good. Oh, I see now it's that synth part that's giving a digital clipping sound. I'd just tame that some more, but everything else sounds real nice. I really like this song. Sounds so much better without being slammed. Real nice work - love the noisey/chaos stuff.

You mean the synth? I went for nasty to contrast with the cleaner guitars. Trouble is if I get rid of those bits, there's not much left. Thanks for giving it a spin

What, exactly, are you doing to it? Is it going through some kind of autofilter? Is that the stock sound? What is it and what's going on with it. Maybe we can help clean it up and polish it more, so that it sounds like chaos but easier on the ears.

Dude, this sounds way better. The loudest parts are still getting crunched pretty hard, but overall it's really good. Oh, I see now it's that synth part that's giving a digital clipping sound. I'd just tame that some more, but everything else sounds real nice. I really like this song. Sounds so much better without being slammed. Real nice work - love the noisey/chaos stuff.

Heh it's fair to say digital clipping is not what I was going for. More of a 90's vintage Marilyn Manson vibe :D Thanks for the kind words

What, exactly, are you doing to it? Is it going through some kind of autofilter? Is that the stock sound? What is it and what's going on with it. Maybe we can help clean it up and polish it more, so that it sounds like chaos but easier on the ears.

The synth is a little analog Korg Volca synth/sequencer. There's 3 identical tracks of the same sequence but with me fiddling the filter and resonance knobs etc. randomly on each one while tracking so there's a certain amount of phasing happening between them. It went in through a tube pre wound up pretty hot. Might have had the compressor on fast on the way in as well. There's no eq or any other effects on them. I could possibly try a low pass, might help curtail some of the sizzle

The synth is a little analog Korg Volca synth/sequencer. There's 3 identical tracks of the same sequence but with me fiddling the filter and resonance knobs etc. randomly on each one while tracking so there's a certain amount of phasing happening between them. It went in through a tube pre wound up pretty hot. Might have had the compressor on fast on the way in as well. There's no eq or any other effects on them. I could possibly try a low pass, might help curtail some of the sizzle

Yeah, that and sweep around to see what's really poking through, then cut those areas out. Maybe turn the resonance knob down, as well.

Back