Bach Again

drstawl

Banned
It was a reread of, "Godel, Escher, Bach- An Eternal Golden Braid"
that started all this. A pretty cool book by Douglas R. Hofstadter.

Anyhow the introduction relates this story of Frederick the Great of Prussia- a serious freak from my HS World History remembrances, who wrote this little 8-bar-and-a-lead-in-quarter note ditty, and being the owner of 15 pianos (a VERY recent invention in 1747) wanted the premier jam master of the day to improvise a piece on one of these instruments based on the clip. J.S.Bach did and the group of pieces became known as his "Musical Offering"

Doug even included the 8 bar theme notated, which I entered into CW. I then proceeded to give it the drstawl treatment, imagining that I was placed in Bach's shoes but had all my 21st century tools.

I know it doesn't rate with what Bach did with this theme. But I think it came out OK.

Damn, it sounds like you're worried about spores again!

I love the bub-a-dubba-dup bass line at 0.19.

Sounds like a sound track for Jessica Fletcher or Hercule Poirot.

Good stuff, polytonic. :)

Doc this sounded pretty good to old rats! Maybe I've had a bug my ass and have been overly critical lately judging from my last three or four posts in this forum, I don't know, but this one didn't strike me as one of your better pieces. For some reason there is a voice in here, sort of an electronic bassy voice, that doesn't compliment the piano ,vibes, or harpsicord. I like the idea of synth mixed with classic percussives but THAT particular synth sounds too, I don't know, MCHAMMERISH! I also am aware that you've used that same voice on numerous other songs and it's always stuck out in my craw as an oddball. What if you were to use a rhodes voice or maybe somethying more polyphonicish with a swell? Then again you're a musical picasso of sorts so I may not be worthy to critique!!! This particular voice could be the key element to sheer genius!!! Fuck who knows!~:D

Doc, my hat's off to you (that is if I wore a hat). Even though my own stuff doesn't reflect it, I really love more cerebral music. Two thumbs up.:cool:

nice ,clean recording.

the music reminds me of a newspaper clipping I saw. The producer said to the artists " That was a great take, now lets do it with melody, harmony, pitch and rhythm. THat was funny

Thanks for the listen.

The first bobididoobidibump was a setup for the second, which leads into the main rehash of the theme.

rats- as to that synth patch- I just love the way it fills the space around percussive elements- like pouring a flask of liquid nitrogen.

dobro- so you're saying that even though I used someone else's seed phrase, it still retained my signature?

CJ- that sounds like a line from a Jack Benny skit.

I was hoping that DavidK would chime in since he probably knows the original version and could let me know how badly I mangled the theme.

Back