Bach

Nicely played. The Anna Magdalena's some of the most beautiful simple music in the world, yeah. Who arranged the guitar part you used?

The next time you record nylon-string, try getting a warmer sound on it. On this one, it sounds a bit like you've got a small mic stuck inside the body of the guitar, or maybe you miked it in a small room with the mic right on the soundhole. How'd you mic it? I used to mic nylon-string a lot; I'd put a LD condenser about nine inches off the twelfth fret and a SD condenser about nine inches off the bridge. Pan to taste and add reverb after the fact. That mic position avoids the slight hollow boominess you're getting here and records a pretty dry sound free of room which lets you play with reverb afterward. Of course, if you're really dedicated, you'll just find a great room and do the stereo miking thing. I never had that luxury. FWIW, I just got a new nylon string, so I'll be exploring this all over again. I live in a new place with a whole new set of rooms to try the stereo miking thing in, but I'm not holding out too much hope. I think I'll probably have to go the close-mic route.

Nicely played. The Anna Magdalena's some of the most beautiful simple music in the world, yeah. Who arranged the guitar part you used?

The next time you record nylon-string, try getting a warmer sound on it. On this one, it sounds a bit like you've got a small mic stuck inside the body of the guitar, or maybe you miked it in a small room with the mic right on the soundhole. How'd you mic it? I used to mic nylon-string a lot; I'd put a LD condenser about nine inches off the twelfth fret and a SD condenser about nine inches off the bridge. Pan to taste and add reverb after the fact. That mic position avoids the slight hollow boominess you're getting here and records a pretty dry sound free of room which lets you play with reverb afterward. Of course, if you're really dedicated, you'll just find a great room and do the stereo miking thing. I never had that luxury. FWIW, I just got a new nylon string, so I'll be exploring this all over again. I live in a new place with a whole new set of rooms to try the stereo miking thing in, but I'm not holding out too much hope. I think I'll probably have to go the close-mic route.

lol if only you knew what microphone I used for this, it might surprise you...anyway there is also some reverb already on this, just not a lot but enough to give it a stereo image, I hate ultra dry sounds though and purposely moved this a bit further away than I might normally have it, but could have gone slightly too 'ambient'....on listening again I think you are right. I've wanted to record in my bathroom for a very long time now but it's finding a time when 1/ no-one is in the house for a very long time and 2/ there is no noise outside, at the moment my neighbours have been going mental with DIY.

C'mon. You got Johann Sebastian in your avatar. You're doing credit to the playing of the music, but not the recording of it. Raise your game.

I mistakenly clicked on the first thing in your autosignature, "lost memories". It was excellent.

Then I clicked on the one you actually posted. Great, but not as good as the first one I clicked on.

C'mon. You got Johann Sebastian in your avatar. You're doing credit to the playing of the music, but not the recording of it. Raise your game.

lol I will 'raise my game' then... I will try an LDC + SDC and see how it goes later on this evening

I didn't hear any boom, but if there is, slight roll off down on the bottom would cure that. I thought the guitar sounded very good, my only comments was it lacked some top end, a little dull sounding. Did you ever hear the guitar in the opening of the series "Doc Martin"? Really nice balance on that guitar part.

Tad roll off (maybe) down at the 100hz area (I didn't hear it, just going by the comments) and some push up above the 8-10Khz range for some air. Sounded fine on my system and ears.

I didn't hear any boom, but if there is, slight roll off down on the bottom would cure that. I thought the guitar sounded very good, my only comments was it lacked some top end, a little dull sounding. Did you ever hear the guitar in the opening of the series "Doc Martin"? Really nice balance on that guitar part.

Tad roll off (maybe) down at the 100hz area (I didn't hear it, just going by the comments) and some push up above the 8-10Khz range for some air. Sounded fine on my system and ears.

same here, listening on neumann kh120a's as well, I wonder what headphones others have listened on?....

Maybe 'slight hollow boominess' wasn't the best word. Maybe 'slight hollow boxiness' would be better. Dunno. But the sound's compromised by a combination of mic position and room, I think. If I was mixing this, the first thing I'd try is scooping low mids and the second thing would be a higher low cut. But better miking would reduce the need for both of those.

Maybe 'slight hollow boominess' wasn't the best word. Maybe 'slight hollow boxiness' would be better. Dunno. But the sound's compromised by a combination of mic position and room, I think. If I was mixing this, the first thing I'd try is scooping low mids and the second thing would be a higher low cut. But better miking would reduce the need for both of those.

I would agree with this description.

I heard a bit much in the low mid area of the original records and totally agree with the comment about just a touch more "sparkle" wo it going to a grating trebly direction. I listened to the newer tune also and it's better sounding than both the originals. Totally right direction. very cool 7 or 8 minutes of relaxing music. thx.
Sam

That sounds way better. How'd you do it?

It's such beautiful music, yeah?

lol thanks, I basically massively changed where I put the mic, it was much closer than before, pretty much only around a foot away maybe even closer from the 12th fret which seems to be the sweet spot. I was also in a different place in my room which seemed to help, what surprised me is how close the microphone can get without it being too boomy I am using my newly purchase vintage Neumann km84i, thankyou for giving me a reality check on the first one, it definitely helps to have more ears.

Damn, that's a good mic. Close-miking acoustics is weird - the whole instrument is the sound source, so when you're a foot away with the mic, you're getting some proximity effect usually which boosts lows, so I wonder if the Neumann's good for avoiding that. If you mic the soundhole though, you get a woofstorm no matter what mic you use.

Could you describe the room for me? I'm not idly curious - I'm going to be miking nylon string soon and I'm gathering information.

Damn, that's a good mic. Close-miking acoustics is weird - the whole instrument is the sound source, so when you're a foot away with the mic, you're getting some proximity effect usually which boosts lows, so I wonder if the Neumann's good for avoiding that. If you mic the soundhole though, you get a woofstorm no matter what mic you use.

Could you describe the room for me? I'm not idly curious - I'm going to be miking nylon string soon and I'm gathering information.

thanks, my room is around 12x8x10, so medium sized.

I have a QRD skyline diffusor on my back wall and some gik 244 bass traps so it sounds somewhat dead.

Nice sounding guitar track, I really don't have anything to suggest on the mic'ing because I'm not very good at it myself, & it sounds like you've pretty much got it under control...Nice job!!!

On the mix, I'd personally add some more reverb, while it's not exactly dry, & I can hear a little ambience (I'm assuming it's your room), I'd put some more 'verb on it for some space...but, that's just a personal preference too...

I didn't hear any boom/boxy-ness myself, but I usually don't listen to very much stuff like this to be honest...

Nice playing, & nice recording man...

Back