baby tombstones

dobro

First mix, fresh ears. What'd I do wrong?

Here's the lineup for this one:

I did the the song, the vocal, guitar, xylophone.
Fritsthegirl did backing vocal.
Tjarko Busink did everything else: bass, guitar, organ, drums, cister (or similar).

View attachment baby tombstones.mp3

I get the sneaking suspicion that you might have mixed your guests a smidge loud.
Frits' vocals seem a bit louder than yours for them to be backing vocal.
The guitar is pretty much completely buried.

Obviously, you want to show off your guests (and for them to be able to pick out their own parts), but you don't want to sacrifice the overall mix for it. It's not a bad mix, but I'd double check those levels.

Levels, thanks. I start with levels, and I end with levels. It's all down to that in the end.

That was quick work, love all the extras, all really great additions to the version I sang to. Good call on the edit you made in the last part of my vocals BTW. Xylophone sounds absolutely awesome, shit that's a great sound, is it a real one? I think the interlude is great too, I wasn't expecting that at all. I'd agree with turning my vocals down a touch as well. :)

Yeah, real xylophone. Wanna buy it? :)

It's funny how perceptions get bent by attitudes and feelings. I often mix the collaborators too loud in the first mix. I have to put the sucker up on the shelf and listen days later to hear it more clearly.

Thanks for singing on this one, btw. You did a way better job than me doing falsetto. :D

nice song. nice xylophone ;)
i too think the vocals are too loud. don't know about the drumsound, the bassdrum could be more boomy imo, but thats more about tuning and recording i guess :listeningmusic: the minimalistic part/pattern fits great though

I thought the vocal clarity was exceptional. Very good. Harmonies worked well. A couple of loose spots, but not real bad. They sounded like that Wilco/Feist song that was out a year or so ago.

I thought the bass might have been a little loud. Guitar was a little back in the mix. But overall the instrumentation was nice.

Yeah, real xylophone. Wanna buy it? :)

It's funny how perceptions get bent by attitudes and feelings. I often mix the collaborators too loud in the first mix. I have to put the sucker up on the shelf and listen days later to hear it more clearly.

Thanks for singing on this one, btw. You did a way better job than me doing falsetto. :D

Dunno, maybe...how much & pics...?

I had to Google Falsetto. No shit.

nice song. nice xylophone ;)
i too think the vocals are too loud. don't know about the drumsound, the bassdrum could be more boomy imo, but thats more about tuning and recording i guess :listeningmusic: the minimalistic part/pattern fits great though

Hey, thanks for the listen. You're right about the vocals. And it *is* a real xylophone. I know most people don't own one, but I do. Eat your heart out. :)

I thought the vocal clarity was exceptional. Very good. Harmonies worked well. A couple of loose spots, but not real bad. They sounded like that Wilco/Feist song that was out a year or so ago.

I thought the bass might have been a little loud. Guitar was a little back in the mix. But overall the instrumentation was nice.

I think you nailed it, MMM. The bass was too bassy, the guitar too light. Thanks for that.

I had to Google Falsetto. No shit.

Falsetto: fake Italian comedy breast, worn by male actors in farces and poor taste
Falsetti: two of 'em.

Baby tombstones? Is this song about dead babies? I like dead baby songs.

I don't know if you tweaked the mix yet or not, but it sounds pretty good to me. My only critique are the vocals. They're too hot, dry, crisp, up front, and lip smackey. You can keep them like that, but I'd like them set em down in the mix more.

I remember your songs from years ago and you still get a nice quiet clarity in your mixes. I think I remember tjarko as well-I have his album around here somewhere-a very talented man as well. Anyways I really like the song-the sparse reggae feel gets your attention I love the organ and the xylo-this is a nice listen-I would have compressed the vocals some-they jump out of the mix to me-maybe a touch of verb? Otherwise this sounds great. Nice duet parts on the vocals and a solid mix overall.

Strat

I got nothing I can add to this - you've got your own musical pocket that you operate in, where stuff I hear from you sounds like you, but different each time. All sounds damn good, especially the xylophone - the timing of the vocals between you and Frits at the end is pretty loose, but I think it just about falls on the right side of laxity :thumbs up:

Dark sounding title, but enjoyable stuff!

Nice, clean space; very uncluttered sound field. Relaxed reggae is sweet. good groove. From my perspective, I think the lead vox (come to think of it, both vocal parts) may be a tiny bit big, and a little bit dry. For me, Reggae builds from the bottom up, and this feels more of a "top down" mix. If I were mixing it, I would be emphasizing the bass guitar and the kick drum just a smidgen more than you chose to, and the guitar that has the backbeat; I might pump it a tiny bit more, maybe not with level, but with just tiny EQ bump in the upper mids to make it cut a little more. Make those hips move, baby. :) Form a madtering perspective, I like a little bit more reverb, just a hint, no precharge, low saturation but long duration, to give you a sense of space without a sense of "in a church"... but, this is all subjective and personal taste-driven; what you have is clean, uncluttered, and very accessible. Well done!

Back