Axe Fx2 / SD3 song mixing help

ehgore1978

WIYG test mix by Scott McGinley 1 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Hi Im looking for some feed back on what you would do when mixing this. Im trying to get to better non muddy mixes without going tinny
Recorded this test through an axefx 2 using superior drummer 3 in reaper.
Guitar was aa hetfield snakebyte emg pickups and SDGR bass
Any ideas on how to get a better mix would be great thanks

Oh yeah totally not happy with the bass sound either

Hi ehgore1978,
You should be able to edit your first post to update the track,
although if you want to leave the older ones for reference that's cool. Just letting you know. :)

Sounding good on headphones, real good actually. Not detecting any muddiness. Only thing I could suggest would be to sync the panned rhythm guitars better together in the intro and get rid of the 10 seconds of anticipation at the start

Thanks yeah very aware of the tightness and intro etc. This was more of an experiment on getting a good mix. I have a LOT of songs accumulated over the years that Id like to just get good versions of and just put them out there. So at that time it will be restring tighten takes more work on actuall drum parts, vocals keyboards etc etc. This is first time Ive recorded the Fractal direct USB aswell. Its definately come a long way from the original try just want to get it to that pop out factor ha ha

Very good playing.

Rhythm guitar tone was not bad. Was it an amp sim? The only thing missing in it is the "chug". I'd like a little more umph.

You might be able to bring up the bass just a bit.

The attack on the toms is kind of clicky. Gets a little distracting. Maybe choose some different samples. Cymbals are very swishy. Might be a combination of bad samples, mp3 conversion, and Soundcloud.

Very good playing.

Rhythm guitar tone was not bad. Was it an amp sim? The only thing missing in it is the "chug". I'd like a little more umph.

You might be able to bring up the bass just a bit.

The attack on the toms is kind of clicky. Gets a little distracting. Maybe choose some different samples. Cymbals are very swishy. Might be a combination of bad samples, mp3 conversion, and Soundcloud.

THanks. Yes exactly need more chug. Yeah its running through Fractal Axe Fx 2 preset and I know thet if you know what your doing you can get great sounds out of it. Superior Drummer 3 has upgraded its mixing nabilities from previous versions so drums can be eqd from there its an Andy Sneap Kit 3

Listened to each mix for a sec, as I kept seeing there was another one right under it. You spent a lot of time working on the guitar tone, which in my opinion didn't need so much tweaking and reworking. It was the bass that sounded lacking, to me.

It doesn't sound like the guitars are hard panned, so I'd start there. Put the two chugging/rhythm sets 100% L/R. The lead pair in a bit from that, try around 50-ish. Send those guitars to a bus. EQ that bus with at least a HP and a LP. There's lots of gnarly fizzy stuff on the top end of the guitars, so I'd look at LP'ing down to around 6-8khz, and a HP around 80-120hz.

Bass needs the most work. How are you recording it?

Listened to each mix for a sec, as I kept seeing there was another one right under it. You spent a lot of time working on the guitar tone, which in my opinion didn't need so much tweaking and reworking. It was the bass that sounded lacking, to me.

It doesn't sound like the guitars are hard panned, so I'd start there. Put the two chugging/rhythm sets 100% L/R. The lead pair in a bit from that, try around 50-ish. Send those guitars to a bus. EQ that bus with at least a HP and a LP. There's lots of gnarly fizzy stuff on the top end of the guitars, so I'd look at LP'ing down to around 6-8khz, and a HP around 80-120hz.

Bass needs the most work. How are you recording it?

Hi there. There is only 2 guitar parts 75 l/r the leady thing is part of the main riff. Going through an Axe Fx2 via USB same with Bass its through the axe fx. Just cant get the bass sounding decent whether thats the preset Im using or not

To me it sounds as if there is too much mid tones and not enough mid-lows on the guitars. You can scoop out the mids a little and bring up the mid-lows. You will have to experiment to make sure you don't walk on the bass frequencies too much. The bass will help fill it all out. And yes, pan those guitars 100% each side. It would make a big difference especially with the bass sitting dead center.

Back