Anybody Out There

pronoise

I had this song in Em, I moved it up to GM, thus it sounded much more energetic IMHO.
I also added a guitar solo to the end, used Scuffham S-gear amp sim.
I hope, you'll like it.
All performed, recorded and mixed in my garage using Reaper :)

Woah, 30 seconds in and this mix is great! I feel like the kick could cut through the mix a bit more.. Idk, I dwell in the chambers of hip hop, so I like my kicks to sound loud and thumpy.
I really like the backing vocals, and that main vox sounds absolutely amazing.

I'm glad you liked it :)
I used Addicted Drums for drums and all the synths are Synthmaster (kv331), I am a novice when it comes to mixing.
I usually play classic rock, blues and country, but lately I am trying to branch out :)

Haha, really? So you're just like me in a way. If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about mixing that vocal? It sounds very inviting.

I thought this sounded pretty good. Good strong singing voice.

I thought the bass is a bit too loud. At least until about the :55 mark when a guitar and backing vocal come in. The bass seems to go down during that section. But it might be just because there are other instruments occupying space. Anyway, I'd turn down the bass a couple of db's.

Other than that, I thought it was good.

Haha, really? So you're just like me in a way. If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about mixing that vocal? It sounds very inviting.
Sure, I'll tell you how I mix my vocals.
First of all, I place the lead vocal dead center.
Then I place an EQ first, usually start with a 60-80 Hz hipass filter and then a small dip around 300hz, after these comes the first comp usually a fast one to knock a few dbs, then comes the second compressor a slower one with a lower threshold ( an LA2A clone) after the compressors comes the second EQ that one is to accentuate the highs for air above 10Khz and sometimes a little bump around 2-3 khz for making vocals cut through.
I use several sends for one Plate rev, one lush long hall reverb and one short delay and a timed delay dotted 8 panned very wide.

I thought this sounded pretty good. Good strong singing voice.

I thought the bass is a bit too loud. At least until about the :55 mark when a guitar and backing vocal come in. The bass seems to go down during that section. But it might be just because there are other instruments occupying space. Anyway, I'd turn down the bass a couple of db's.

Other than that, I thought it was good.

Thank you for listening to my song.
I'll definitely check the bass again.
As I am not an expert in synth-bass ( I am used to electric bass), I have hard time to judge the levels.

Fairly Bowie-esque vocal and feel. Sounds very good. Nice bridge. Decent tone on the solo, but it's a bit heavy in the mix.

Fairly Bowie-esque vocal and feel. Sounds very good. Nice bridge. Decent tone on the solo, but it's a bit heavy in the mix.
I love Bowie BTW :)
The solo was done with S-Gear, because on that day, the trees in my street were pruned and cut.
I couldn't use the amp because of the noise level.

Your voice sounds familiar...I must have listened to another song of yours in one of my drive-by sessions where I didn't comment.

This is tight, man. The electric guitar fits well with the synth backing, otherwise I'd bitch about the synthetic sounding guitars :) I guess the solo could come down a bit, it was pretty blistering when it came in.

There's some mid-range boxiness or something to the vocals, maybe from the compression. Or it could be that 2K-3K EQ bump that you mentioned. I seem to get the same thing on my vocals most of the time and I haven't quite honed in on exactly what causes it. If I only had a voice like that though!

Your voice sounds familiar...I must have listened to another song of yours in one of my drive-by sessions where I didn't comment.

This is tight, man. The electric guitar fits well with the synth backing, otherwise I'd bitch about the synthetic sounding guitars :) I guess the solo could come down a bit, it was pretty blistering when it came in.

There's some mid-range boxiness or something to the vocals, maybe from the compression. Or it could be that 2K-3K EQ bump that you mentioned. I seem to get the same thing on my vocals most of the time and I haven't quite honed in on exactly what causes it. If I only had a voice like that though!
Thank you for listening.
Indeed, I posted songs here before, that's why you know my voice :)
I even posted this song before as well, but it was in a lower key.
I feel it sounds much better in this key, even though some of the harmonies were quite high, so I used my falsetto at some harmony parts.

Love it, it draws you in right at the start. The synth running through it is a bit eighties but in a good way and a bit more power in the snare drum is about all I can add.

Love it, it draws you in right at the start. The synth running through it is a bit eighties but in a good way and a bit more power in the snare drum is about all I can add.
Thank you very much, i'm glad you liked it :)
I am 46 years old, so 80s are the decade, when I started to make music, that's why I use some of those sounds.

Back