Any thoughts on this punk mix?

You're going for a 90s Blink 182, Offspring kind of thing?

Honestly, the mix is coherent, but it could be a lot better. The vocals are really far forward, the guitar is a bit quiet, and it sounds like the compressor is pumping.

So first off, I'd remove any compressors or limiters you have on the master bus - that stuff is for the mastering phase after your mix is good.

The drums and bass sound good relative to each other, so I'd leave those levels alone. Then turn down the vox until they're not overpowering, and turn up the guitars until they have some body to them.

You're going for a 90s Blink 182, Offspring kind of thing?

Honestly, the mix is coherent, but it could be a lot better. The vocals are really far forward, the guitar is a bit quiet, and it sounds like the compressor is pumping.

So first off, I'd remove any compressors or limiters you have on the master bus - that stuff is for the mastering phase after your mix is good.

The drums and bass sound good relative to each other, so I'd leave those levels alone. Then turn down the vox until they're not overpowering, and turn up the guitars until they have some body to them.

Agree with Steve the vocal is too far forward. Even the backing vocals are too loud. The kick and bass are at pretty good levels, but the snare and toms are too loud.
This is a classic example of a mix where everything is fighting to be the loudest thing. It just winds up sounding chaotic.

To me this is a back to the drawing board mix...get the levels right first; then have a very good reason to go to your compressors... not just b/c they're there.

The song was pretty cool. It's not classic punk like I was expecting, but still, it was cool to hear something resembling punk here.

Yes the vocals are a bit loud. I liked the cough near the beginning. In the intro was the tune supposed to be sung like that? The intro sounded really pitchy, but it sounded good after that.

Nice energy in the tune. I liked that.

Bass and drums sounded OK. Cymbals might be just a bit hissy, but not bad.

I thought the rhythm guitars had a bit too much gain and were a bit too bright. Nice low end on them.

The drums were a little weird...there's no sustain on the OH's at all around 0:28. The guitars were a bit harsh/squeaky in spots, like the intro. Still pretty good. I agree there's a B182 sound to this.

This sounds like some legit rock music! I like it! Sounds like some blink 182, love the drums, the lead, and the singing! Good stuff , keep it up! This track is full of energy!

Sorry I didn't see my reply in the topic ///double post... how do you delete one??

Last edited:
I really liked it. I thought I had commented before this but I must not have uploaded it. I like the lyrics and the groove. It sounds like it could be used as a good intro for a sit com. Listened a few times and like it more every time.

Great song! Personally, I'm fine with where the vocals are. The main problem for me was the balance between bass, guitars and snare. Snare could come down. Get those things balanced and the vocals should settle in.

Back