Any comments and critique welcome please...

BxD

Hi,

I have a make-shift studio in my basement for my son's band. They are 14 years old each. They are using headphones to monitor what they are playing, and I am trying to do the best I can mixing them.

They usually write the song, practice it, then record it in one setting. Then I try to mix it the best I can.

The Roland TD20 is coming into a Focusrite Saffire 40 (all eight channels + SPDIF but I usually mute the SPDIF channel). Then the optical out goes to a UR824. The Guitar goes to the amp, then to a DI BOX to the UR824. The bass goes straight into the UR824, as well as any vocals. All gets tracked into Cubase 6.5. Then the mixing occurs.... There are 2 guitar tracks (same player, overdubbed). I first try to get the drums to sound right adding inserts here and there for compression, EQ, and etc. Then the bass, then guitars, then vocals. On this particular mix, the bass was replaced today as the old version was to "plucky" (he only uses one string for some reason).

If you could please comment on the mix quality (or lack thereof). I am trying to learn this on the fly, as well as read up on things as time allows. Tips, obvious or non-obvious flaws or mistakes I may be making are greatly appreciated. Since they are 14 y/o kids, please don't rip apart their talent, as that is not why I am posting here....

Here is the link to the MP3, located on SkyDrive. sdrv.ms/OSG7GQ
EDIT: The bit at the end, right after the word "skydrive" is the link to the file. It is called "The Mission"
Best regards,
Bret

The bit at the end, right after the word "skydrive" is the link to the file. It is called "The Mission"

The mix needs work - so I'll try and make suggestions - this is just my layman's vision....
- too much reverb on the vocals. In today's mixes (not my choice :-) )) you usually put reverb until you can hear it then back it off just a touch.
- The kick is too loud and thumpy.
- there's something like a sidestick that is too loud and is really annoying in the beginning.
- the second singer is better - pitch wise. I wonder if the song is too low for the first singer. Vocals are my main focus in most songs :-)
The whole thing is catchy and pretty amazing for 14 year olds. Your link is kind of unfriendly as I had to poke around to figure out what to click on - even then there was a long pause before Windows said "download" . No bigger but it might deter listeners.
sdrv.ms/OSG7GQ

thanks... The female is the usual singer and keyboardist, but she has issues coming to practice. She is really talented though. The cross-stick in the beginning on the snare was intentional, but I will try to tone it down. The male singer really has zero confidence signing, and it shows.

As for the real unfriendly link -- until I post a certain number of times here, I am not allowed to post links (so I went around that restriction with the link I did use).

How does one remove the kick -- but still make it "present" in the mix? Just as simple as cutting the level?

Back