another world

dobro

Raw tracks, on the verge of being mixed. I promised myself I'd never do this again - a ton of guitar tracks - but it happened before I knew it.

What do I need to know to mix this one?

Attachments

• another world.mp3
    7.2 MB · Views: 57
Sounds good. The triplet guitar in the middle is a little weird, it doesn't quite fit at times. I would suggest a little reverb on the shaker to give it some space, it's too up front at the moment.

In general, I'd devise a heirarchy of what needs to be prominent and what needs to be background. There's a lot competing here, I think that more parts can be background. It's a catchy little tune, like the vocals. Lots of fun.

Yeah, which three things really need to be heard? Hierarchies will get everything into place. Thanks.

Cool 60's psychedelia kind of thing going on here. Ray Davies on mescaline, maybe. And I like it.

I think the shaker could stand to be replaced, or maybe it'll fit into things better when it's pushed back with a little reverb. Or maybe just the initial count-in makes it sound more conspicuous to me. If I had a nickel for every song of mine that has a shaker count-in that was mercifully cut out during mixing, I'd have like $0.25 :) So that makes this nostalgic in a whole different way.

I can't decide if I like the acoustic guitar triplet thing. I think when it's timed spot on, I like it. A little off and it kind of confuses things. I warmed up to it as the song progressed. I do like the percussion though, especially that djembe kind of kick sound.

This could be very cool. The triplets are a little off (the first round especially), but later it works for me.
Sounds like it will be tough to mix but I'd like to see what you come up with! My vote would be to ditch (or heavily process) the guitar that comes in at 1:10. It's very percussive, and may conflict with the acoustic rhythm, although I like the counterpoint line it plays.

If I had a nickel for every song of mine that has a shaker count-in that was mercifully cut out during mixing, I'd have like $0.25 :)

Yeah. :)

I do like the percussion though, especially that djembe kind of kick sound.

Wavedrum.

Thanks for the thoughts. I hadn't even wondered about the triplets. I was too busy doing them lol.

This could be very cool. The triplets are a little off (the first round especially), but later it works for me. Sounds like it will be tough to mix but I'd like to see what you come up with! My vote would be to ditch (or heavily process) the guitar that comes in at 1:10. It's very percussive, and may conflict with the acoustic rhythm, although I like the counterpoint line it plays.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Thanks. I've always been a big fan of Dixieland in the way that individual elements go their own way, but the sum total hangs together and shines in a kind of happy shambling accident. I suppose I was looking for a kind of stoned out Dixieland approach on this one. You're the third person to be jarred by the triplets. I'll attend to it.

And yes, with a mix this busy it would probably be a gain to ditch something.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I like everything except the rubber ball boingbouncing throughout.
Sounds similar to Pearls Before Swine - but with a Tommy Roe throw in.

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds like a big rubber band, right? I don't recognize those guys you referenced, but I'll say thanks for sure.

I really like the idea of this one, but I think you have to scale back a little on the guitar parts in some sections....probably when you're singing mostly.

I'd be mixing this with the idea of featuring some parts and dropping others into more of a supporting role. As it is, everything is kind of just there competing for attention.

Rhythmically, it tightens up considerably as it goes along and the ending is very nice, but it stumbles a bit out of the gate. I never really know what I'm gonna get when I click on your links, but it's always fun :).

Thanks, Heat. Okay, after reading your post and the others, here's what I've done: the triplet guitar doesn't start till the second verse now, and the guitar that comes in at 1.01 doesn't come in till the middle instrumental and disappears when it finishes. I'm gonna redo the percussion track - simplify it and play it tighter. Thanks, all. I'll post the first mix when I do it.

Dobro,
Look up PBSwine &/or Tom Rapp. Excellent folk psych from the late 60's. Mind you some of the panning is annoying in headphones but that's often the case before the world settled on approximate stage positions in the stereo field.

Yeah. That sounds a lot more focused. You made some good editing choices there.

I found the lead vocal to be a little dry and upfront during the first verse though, with it being so sparse now. Maybe make the vocal a bit wetter and/or drop it back just a bit throughout? I dunno. I thought this mix was a lot more interesting.

I'm not mixing yet, just arranging. Tons of people heard stuff in this one and it was useful. Less is more. Learned something from kdub - think out loud when you're not sure what to do. Extrovert style. I mean, does an introvert style work here? Can you think of one example?

Some one said Ray Davies? I get that as well

Really nice tune...but just too busy, sounds like theres six guys on guitars at parts and when the wind part comes in it falls apart a little

But really nice tune...reminded me of Ronnie Lane as well

Cool stuff dobro

Back