Another re-do...One day I'll write a new tune. :D

R

RAMI

Hey guys, probably the last or second to last re-mix of tunes I've already posted. I have a few new plug-ins and I'm doing a few things differently, so I'm experimenting on tunes I've already finished before I move on to anything new.

I think this one's a year, maybe 2 years old. Can't remember.

How does it sound? levels, sounds in general, etc......

Thanx

DRIVE ME MAD

Drive Me Mad (words and music by RAMI)

Running from the Boogy man
Hollow as a hologram
Critically tranquilized
Television overdose
Waiting until your head explodes
Mentally terrorized
I don't know what you're saying and I know
I don't even know what I don't know you know?

Chorus:
All I know is you drag me down
All I know is it drives me mad

Sick of Democrats again
Tired of the Republicans
Sick and tired is all we got
I know what they're trying to sell
I know that it's lame as hell
Nothing's ever what it's not
I don't know what you're saying and I know
I don't even know what I don't know you know?

Chorus:

I don't know what I know but I do know
I don't know what I don't know you know?

Chorus:

Are you left handed? Or do you pan according to what you hear? You kits in the mix sound right to left.

Keep going with the old stuff as long as you want! :listeningmusic:
Very tasty stuff. Like the quick change @2:09 and then the quick turn at 2:14 (and repeats later). Great writing. Holds the interest all the way through.
If I could find anything to nit, I just might :D

Hey that's pretty good man (not too bad LOL). Nah, but it's really good. :guitar:
Lol. Thanx a lot, man. :cool:

Are you left handed? Or do you pan according to what you hear? You kits in the mix sound right to left.

Keep going with the old stuff as long as you want! :listeningmusic:
Very tasty stuff. Like the quick change @2:09 and then the quick turn at 2:14 (and repeats later). Great writing. Holds the interest all the way through.
If I could find anything to nit, I just might :D
Thanx a lot, dude.

Actually I am left handed. But I'm mixing from my perspective, so that should make it sound like you're listening to a right handed drummer, shouldn't it? My hats are on the right. If you were looking at a rightie playing, the hats would also be on the right, wouldn't they?

This mix sounds a lot better straight out of the box then your last one.
Vocals could do with less reverb.

I think that the snare could be fatter in this one as well.

That drum roll after the first chorus, what are you hitting there?

Your tunes are always really tight, they have great energy from that.

This mix sounds a lot better straight out of the box then your last one.
Thanx man. I'm learning. :D
Vocals could do with less reverb.
Actually, I totally agree with that. Funny, I just noticed it as I was listening when I posted. I like drier vocals, too.

I think that the snare could be fatter in this one as well.
You're probably right, but I can't change it now.

That drum roll after the first chorus, what are you hitting there?
I'm not sure. What roll after the first chorus?

Your tunes are always really tight, they have great energy from that.
Thanx buddy. :cool:

I think it's a tom roll but I'm just not really hearing much "tom". There's a lot of tight attack sound but not much "bom bom bom" going on there.

You do it 2-3 times. Just a really fast roll over all the toms.

Excellent tune. Second song I have heard from you and I just officially became a RAMI fan.

Nothing to add that hasn't been said, except for an opinion on drum mixing. IMO, when panning individual kit pieces to this level, one should generally mix drums from the perspective of a right handed drummer. The reason is that non musicians don't notice one way or another, however, to air drummers, it completely matters, and it's not important that they don't feel like they are watching a band but it is totally important that they don't feel like they are behind a drum kit.

For those who mix with the core kit pieces up the middle (i.e. snare, hats, ride, kick), it isn't an issue, but when mixing with the kit set up like a kit - drummers perspective. Opinions vary, but that is mine. To me, right now, the drum kit sounds backwards and I can't shake that sensation.

...and if you don't think that many people are air drummers, then you haven't been to a Rush concert.

Excellent tune. Second song I have heard from you and I just officially became a RAMI fan.

Nothing to add that hasn't been said, except for an opinion on drum mixing. IMO, when panning individual kit pieces to this level, one should generally mix drums from the perspective of a right handed drummer. The reason is that non musicians don't notice one way or another, however, to air drummers, it completely matters, and it's not important that they don't feel like they are watching a band but it is totally important that they don't feel like they are behind a drum kit.

For those who mix with the core kit pieces up the middle (i.e. snare, hats, ride, kick), it isn't an issue, but when mixing with the kit set up like a kit - drummers perspective. Opinions vary, but that is mine. To me, right now, the drum kit sounds backwards and I can't shake that sensation.

...and if you don't think that many people are air drummers, then you haven't been to a Rush concert.

Thanx Kind. Honestly, I don't really think it matters. I've seen pages of debate on "Drummer's perspective or audience perspective" and I've always found it ridiculous. I happen to be doing it from drummer's perspective as a lefty. So is Phil Collins, and Ian Paice.

To me, the only time it matters is if you're watching a video. You don't want the toms going left to right if you're watching the drummer going right to left. Because of that, the way I'm mixing my drums would be how you'd see a right handed drummer playing if you were watching him play. I actually would have to reverse them in my song if I ever did a video, because it would be the opposite of what the audience would see, since I'm a lefty.

But, honestly, I don't really care about it too much. If I had to switch them, it would be no problem for me, other that the fact that I got used to mixing my drums this way.

Sometimes we just gotta finish off the past before we can move one to the new. Nothing wrong with putting a polish on older stuff.

Sometimes we just gotta finish off the past before we can move one to the new. Nothing wrong with putting a polish on older stuff.

Yeah, I'm sort of obsessive that way. It can be good, but it can be bad, too. Sometimes, you just got to move on, but I'm a perfectionist, and not always in a good way. Anyway, this is my last run through on all these older tunes, and then I already have3 or 4 new tunes started that I can't wait to tackle.

Got to love music, man. I feel sorry for people that don't have a passion. This ain't about money or anything other than the love of creating music. I'm well aware that MAYBE 20 people will ever hear any of my music, but I don't care.

Thanx Kind. Honestly, I don't really think it matters. I've seen pages of debate on "Drummer's perspective or audience perspective" and I've always found it ridiculous. I happen to be doing it from drummer's perspective as a lefty. So is Phil Collins, and Ian Paice.

To me, the only time it matters is if you're watching a video. You don't want the toms going left to right if you're watching the drummer going right to left. Because of that, the way I'm mixing my drums would be how you'd see a right handed drummer playing if you were watching him play. I actually would have to reverse them in my song if I ever did a video, because it would be the opposite of what the audience would see, since I'm a lefty.

But, honestly, I don't really care about it too much. If I had to switch them, it would be no problem for me, other that the fact that I got used to mixing my drums this way.

I didn't know this was debated. I figured there were just preferences and everyone was happy with other opinions because not everyone can hear what they may or may not prefer, but everyone can respect that someone else likes something different. It is a silly thing to get serious about. I mix my close mics up the middle and let the stereo mics do what they do. That way, I make nobody happy. Yay!

Are you saying there are no left handed air drummers that RAMI can mix for?

lol!!!

I didn't know this was debated. I figured there were just preferences and everyone was happy with other opinions because not everyone can hear what they may or may not prefer, but everyone can respect that someone else likes something different. It is a silly thing to get serious about.
That's what I'm thinking. But there have been threads that turned into 15 + page heated discussions about "Drummer's perspective or audience perspective". Funny thing is, any time I ask "What about left handed drummers?", the threads shut down for a few days until everyone recovers their equilibrium. :D

I pan my close my mics down the middle, too. I only use 4 mics on my drums, so my only close mics are snare and kik. The other 2 are overheads, which are panned.

Again, it is what it is. It's your art, and you should paint your audio picture whatever colors you choose!
Nobody ever told Picasso that he should stop using blue...at least nobody that mattered.

I have to be honest and say that I literally have NEVER, and I mean NEVER, not to this day, EVER noticed how drums are panned on ANYTHING I've EVER listened to. And I've probably spent more time air-drumming to music than anyone I know (I have to admit that I've spent way more time on the air guitar, but still....). Not only that, but unless you're sitting down right in front of, and in the middle of, your speakers, it doesn't matter. As soon as you walk 3 feet away from your speakers, everything becomes mono anyway.

Back