Another new Mix -- Feedback?

Nola

Hey guys, sorry to have two mixes on the front page. I've been mixing more lately. I feel this one is done as-is, but I want to run it by the forum/fresh ears before putting the final stamp on it. This is more of a punk/fun song (a style I like to write in sometimes).

I guess my remaining concerns would be whether the bass is a good tone and level for the genre and the vocal take is good enough.

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/suicidevan/clocked-out

Last edited:
Real cool vibe. I love that.

The drums are a bit roomy, but still I kind of like it. The snare sounds good. Cymbals lack a little definition, but still not horrible.

Vocal delivery is cool.

The thing that strikes me as needing improvement is there umph to anything. There is nothing driving the beat. The mix overall is kind of floppy.

Low end is a bit weak.

This is still by far my favorite song of yours.

The thing that strikes me as needing improvement is there umph to anything. There is nothing driving the beat. The mix overall is kind of floppy.

Low end is a bit weak.

This is still by far my favorite song of yours.
Agreed. Maybe you could use a plugin like BOD by TSE to get some low end out of the bass.

Thanks guys. I uploaded a new mix in the OP with more bass. I also lowered the annoying high hat, took some ambience off the drums, and lowered the guitars b/c I felt they were overwhelming the vocal and making the mix too harsh.
It might lack some power now, though, but isn't as harsh. Let me know!

The mix overall is kind of floppy.

PS. 3M, can you tell me what you mean by this and how to fix it?

Last edited:
I think it's fine how it is. It's a particular vibe, I think, and I'm pretty sure you nailed it.

Are there some toms hitting when the hats and snare are still going? Check that. Near the end. Make sure you look at the piano roll for the drums and check to make sure it's realistic and that only two hands are going! Also, give some space between the 1 beats that have cymbal hits...it takes a split second to get back to the hat/snare after cymbals.

Oh, and a bit more bass please.

PS. 3M, can you tell me what you mean by this and how to fix it?

I was just trying to say there isn't any pulse to the beat. everything is kind of at one level.

You might be able to raise the level of the kick. Or the bass guitar. Retrack the bass with a playing style that accents down beats more. Or retrack the guitar with a little less gain and a little more low midrange.

Are there some toms hitting when the hats and snare are still going? Check that. Near the end. Make sure you look at the piano roll for the drums and check to make sure it's realistic and that only two hands are going! Also, give some space between the 1 beats that have cymbal hits...it takes a split second to get back to the hat/snare after cymbals.

Just doubled checked that and you're right. Great job catching that. Normally I'm pretty good about the 3 handed drummer but this guy slipped past me.

Say a drummer his hitting a kick with the foot, a floor tom with one arm on the same beat...would he be able to hit the hat on that same beat with the other arm? Or would he just skip the hat for that beat and do the kick and floor tom? Technically he has enough limbs to play it I'm just not sure if drummers do that.

Listened to the latest in the OP. Everything sounds good bass/drums/guitars/vocals all have their own space and levels are complimentary. I read the earlier posts and the issues were all addressed in this mix. Good job :D

thanks for the listen and feedback, ido.

Crazy...I just read that General Tso died today, the day I released a song with his name in it!

Still not hearing much bass--that's the new mix in the OP? Definitely you've got a Lou Reed thing going on. To me the vocal is too out front, almost like you're singing to karaoke. I'd want them sitting in the mix better.

I thought this was really cool nola, one of the best I've heard from you. There's a good energy to the drums and guitars that I think I commented wasn't there on the Dinosaur Jr cover. Mix sounds good to me and I personally like the vocal level for the style.

There seems to be a bit of what I'd think it unintentional distortion coming through on the guitars in a few parts - I don't know if it's a soundcloud issue. For instance I caught it at 0.26.

Good work

Definitely you've got a Lou Reed thing going on. To me the vocal is too out front, almost like you're singing to karaoke. I'd want them sitting in the mix better.

This is what I was hearing. I would thin out the voice just a little with a low shelf cut going all the way up to 500-700Hz or so, then pull it back into the mix.

I thought this was really cool nola, one of the best I've heard from you. There's a good energy to the drums and guitars that I think I commented wasn't there on the Dinosaur Jr cover. Mix sounds good to me and I personally like the vocal level for the style.

There seems to be a bit of what I'd think it unintentional distortion coming through on the guitars in a few parts - I don't know if it's a soundcloud issue. For instance I caught it at 0.26.

Good work

Thanks, Rob, I always appreciate your thoughts. I remixed this 2 weeks ago with lower vocal and different amp tones, but forgot to post it. I have sleep deprivation and forget a lot. I'll catch up on your song and others today now that I finally got some sleep last night. When I disappear forever or forget to comment on everyone's songs, it's usually because of that.

This is what I was hearing. I would thin out the voice just a little with a low shelf cut going all the way up to 500-700Hz or so, then pull it back into the mix.

Hey thanks Boulder. I used an re-11 to record the vocals b/c it naturally rolls off lows, but I trust you it needs more. I'll try that today and hopefully get a new mix up if I remember.

Back