Another Manson cover. The Last Day on Earth

STAT1STICK

I'm working with a vocalist on Discord at the moment. He's tracking right now. I'm just about done with the music. I thought I'd put it out there to see if you can pick out some bad parts that I may have overlooked. This is just for fun. A hobby project, really.

Might want to wait to mix until vocals are in. Harder to fit vocals into a complete mix than it is to shape everything together. What you have is good though. I'm hearing a kinda blippy kick. Thuddy. But I'm on headphones. The higher energy stuff, like the whailing geetars, are cool. Nice atmosphere with those and the synth.

I'd buy it. Sounds good. I cranked my sub up and it blended very well. Ran it past a few pre set eqs, arena, concert hall etc and they all sounded really good! Bravo!

Might want to wait to mix until vocals are in. Harder to fit vocals into a complete mix than it is to shape everything together. What you have is good though. I'm hearing a kinda blippy kick. Thuddy. But I'm on headphones. The higher energy stuff, like the whailing geetars, are cool. Nice atmosphere with those and the synth.

Thanks for the feedback. I can't wait to get the vocal tracks so I can start mixing them. I'm not getting the thuddy sound on my end on my headphones or my speakers. But, I still have some mixing to do in the future so I'm sure I'll iron it out when I do my next round of touch ups.

I'd buy it. Sounds good. I cranked my sub up and it blended very well. Ran it past a few pre set eqs, arena, concert hall etc and they all sounded really good! Bravo!

Thank you. I was very meticulous when I mixed this. I was very careful with compression and only touched up things that needed it. I also did a lot with panning which helped a lot with the different layers of sounds in here. Hopefully it doesn't change too much once the vocals are ready.

Thank you. I was very meticulous when I mixed this. I was very careful with compression and only touched up things that needed it. I also did a lot with panning which helped a lot with the different layers of sounds in here. Hopefully it doesn't change too much once the vocals are ready.

It is easy to spot audio that is not over processed. I live by the motto of "Record Properly, Master Lightly & Never Let Um Know You Were There". Your key word above to me is "Meticulous" and Brother, the proof is in the puddin as it certainly shows in your audio!

Just an update. Got the vocals back and did some mixing last night and a bit this morning. I'm torn on this because at some points the vocal seems buried and not buried at the same time. Maybe I'm just being nitpicky. I don't have a streamable version so you'll have to download the wav from my Dropbox.

Dropbox Download

Hey,
I was looking forward to hearing the vocal on this one.
I actually thought I'd commented back when I first listened but apparently not.

I thought the mix sounded great, fwiw. :p
The lighter guitar in the left side during the verse second half sounded a little too out there on it's own to me, but that's a tiny thing. Overall it sounded great!

The vocals - I agree with you and know what you mean.
The original vocals probably aren't much louder than what you've done, but they cut through better.
I'd want to boost the vocal highs a little and maybe cut some mud slightly - maybe a super wide gentle cut at 500 centre, or so?

I know the original pretty well. He sings the chorus an octave lower as well, then the two are panned apart.

You've been pretty faithful so far...Might be worth giving that a go.

Regardless, great job! :)

Edit: Probably telling you what you know but when I try to do a faithful cover I generally import the original into my session,
so I can quickly solo it and compare to what I have.

Flicking back and forth pretty quickly can sometimes shine a light on the main differences.

Hey,
I was looking forward to hearing the vocal on this one.
I actually thought I'd commented back when I first listened but apparently not.

I thought the mix sounded great, fwiw. :p
The lighter guitar in the left side during the verse second half sounded a little too out there on it's own to me, but that's a tiny thing. Overall it sounded great!

The vocals - I agree with you and know what you mean.
The original vocals probably aren't much louder than what you've done, but they cut through better.
I'd want to boost the vocal highs a little and maybe cut some mud slightly - maybe a super wide gentle cut at 500 centre, or so?

I know the original pretty well. He sings the chorus an octave lower as well, then the two are panned apart.

You've been pretty faithful so far...Might be worth giving that a go.

Regardless, great job! :)

Edit: Probably telling you what you know but when I try to do a faithful cover I generally import the original into my session,
so I can quickly solo it and compare to what I have.

Flicking back and forth pretty quickly can sometimes shine a light on the main differences.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad someone actually knows the song. I took a bunch of notes and went back at it last night. Some eq tweaks were pretty much all I needed. I messed around with the automation a bit and got this:

I'm gonna call this one good.

Last edited:
Oh, I can hear that lower octave in there now! Was it there before?

I'd still pan the lower+higher parts L+R a bit but, whether you do or don't, this is much clearer. :)

Top cover man!

Back