Another DI Recording

Schwarzenyaeger

Formerly "Dog-In-Door"

I wrote, recorded and mixed this today over the duration of about four hours.
There is something going on with the stereo effect with the intro riff. My only explanation is that certain frequencies are collapsing into mono.
I also have a delay running that is about 5ms different on the right and left guitar. Is is comb filtering?

And how's the bass guitar sound to you guys?

Last edited:
The lazy Sunday blues! Well, tomorrow's Monday, so I guess that could be somewhat depressing. I listened with headphones, so I can't answer your comb filtering question. Bass helps the piece a lot... you kept it simple and quiet enough that it doesn't distract from the guitars, and it provides a good foundation.

Piece is fine as it is, but if you're looking to get nuts on this lazy sunday, instead of pulling the bass out around 2:10 or whenever it was, go into some bass riff in the upper register of the bass... something that doesn't match the guitar riff, but goes with it. Might sound good, or it might ruin the feel of the whole thing... but hey, that's why pencils have erasers. :)

Nice work.

Hey Schwarzenyaeger, what effects were on the guitar at the start, aside from the delay? I hear what you mean sounded like some sort of phase cancellation going on, a couple of notes seemed to drop out as they panned around, was more noticeable on headphones - but i wouldn't try and guess at causes, just sounds like a stereo effect to me more than a problem.
Bass sounded fine to me, much the same view as NTB on that, what's to say? Sounds like a lazy Sunday :)

Hey Schwarzenyaeger, what effects were on the guitar at the start, aside from the delay? I hear what you mean sounded like some sort of phase cancellation going on, a couple of notes seemed to drop out as they panned around, was more noticeable on headphones - but i wouldn't try and guess at causes, just sounds like a stereo effect to me more than a problem.
Bass sounded fine to me, much the same view as NTB on that, what's to say? Sounds like a lazy Sunday :)

That's what's been bugging me: there are no effects! I double checked and noticed that I had removed them actually...
It's literally just a clean amp sim with nothing on it.

Oh well :O

I'm not sure the doubled guitars are tight enough to work. I'd be tempted to opt for one of them and work the voodoo on it to get some stereo spread.

Like the track a lot.

I'm not sure the doubled guitars are tight enough to work. I'd be tempted to opt for one of them and work the voodoo on it to get some stereo spread.

Like the track a lot.

I killed one of the tracks and reintroduced it when the solo comes and cut it again when the outro plays.

How do you guys convert your .wav files to .mp3s? I do it on some website I found through google.

Converting .wav to MP3 - Most DAWs have something to do it. I prefer the LAME version in a CD ripper I use.
Wow, what's with the bass? What have you treated it with?
No idea re the guitars - sorry.

Converting .wav to MP3 - Most DAWs have something to do it. I prefer the LAME version in a CD ripper I use.
Wow, what's with the bass? What have you treated it with?
No idea re the guitars - sorry.

Well, it's not actually a bass...
I just recorded a guitar and pitched it down an octave.
Shoot me, I can't afford one.

I also have a delay running that is about 5ms different on the right and left guitar. Is is comb filtering?

A delay of 5ms isn't really a delay. It's more of a chorus effect which is exactly how it sounds in your mix.
There's nothing wrong with that but I'm just pointing it out. ;)

You've created a nice mood here and the lead is nice to listen to man. For a pure DI recording you're doing well. :)

A delay of 5ms isn't really a delay. It's more of a chorus effect which is exactly how it sounds in your mix.
There's nothing wrong with that but I'm just pointing it out. ;)

You've created a nice mood here and the lead is nice to listen to man. For a pure DI recording you're doing well. :)

Thank you for listening!:D
I actually found out later that I had deactived the delay aux. I guess that the amp sim had some kind of reverb built in...

Thank you for listening!:D
I actually found out later that I had deactived the delay aux. I guess that the amp sim had some kind of reverb built in...

It's a chorus then, for sure. It'll be in there somewhere...keep digging. :)

Sometimes, if it's a stereo sim, you'll get a delay knob for one side which gives that chorus effect. Something to look out for.

I agree that the chorusy sound isn't really flattering.

A weird thing is that the mix is narrow (maybe mono?) until shortly after :40. Then it abruptly goes very wide. Then later it abruptly goes back to mono.

The playing was good.

Kind of an overdose of clean guitars. A flat note or two here and there.

I had the main riff in stereo but the timing was a bit wonky. I collapsed it into mono and then out into stereo for the solo and goes back afterwards.

I'm open to other solutions.

I've been using .8s on my guitar for a month and I never set the intonation right, it's constantly going out of tune :facepalm:

Awesome idea here!!! If you haven't already, you guys should check out a plugin by Sound Toys called "Microshift" inserted on 1 mono guitar track and it will stereoize for you.

Schwarzenyaeger: You can download a 2 week demo, and it will do that voodoo for you!! AYOO!

Alert: there are two versions of Microshift. One's got everything, the other one is just a tasting portion.

Awesome idea here!!! If you haven't already, you guys should check out a plugin by Sound Toys called "Microshift" inserted on 1 mono guitar track and it will stereoize for you.

Schwarzenyaeger: You can download a 2 week demo, and it will do that voodoo for you!! AYOO!

I'll try that out tonight.

Whoa...this is interesting. It almost feels like 2 songs squished together. I like the depth of the 2nd part. I'm not sure they quite feel like the same song since the treatment to the parts are so different, but it makes for a unique sound.

Whoa...this is interesting. It almost feels like 2 songs squished together. I like the depth of the 2nd part. I'm not sure they quite feel like the same song since the treatment to the parts are so different, but it makes for a unique sound.

5 points to Hufflepuff.

The intro part is something that I wrote a long time ago that I haven't been able to fit in with anything. I tried adding on a generic blues progression to complete it.

Thanks for the listen :)

I listen on my car stereo, so I won't critique the mix. I enjoyed the song. Nice tones and playing imo.

Back