An Angel Said - alterntaive rock pop

It's hard to compete with the Bob Horn's of the world because they have all of the best tools. For example, Bob Horn uses $500 power cables for his Mac rig! He swears that it makes a huge difference. His studio is amazing. His monitors are the best. That's the ilk of mojo the "big boys" use to get the freakish mixes.

Some of that seems logical on the surface to I tend to agree, but I dunno... some of my favorite mixes ever are older ones on worse gear. So who knows. Like everything there's a lot that goes into it and the final mix is like the summation of 1,000 little decisions per song. On the flipside of the gear argument, many pros (e.g. andrew scheps) mix only ITB on headphones these days when they're on the road, and they churn out great mixes with that setup. So it's more about knowing your gear and how it's flaws will translate, which comes from time/hrs logged not any magic "the best" gear. Great gear has advantages like getting to a final result faster.

IMO what's happening in this thread is Andru hears the groove one way, others hear it another (or are just nitpicking him), and that clash is causing conflict because he doesn't know if his feel is off. My personal opinion is musicians should play and program drums the way they feel music. Authenticity > perfection. Every time.

... many pros (e.g. andrew scheps) mix only ITB on headphones these days when they're on the road, and they churn out great mixes with that setup. So it's more about knowing your gear and how it's flaws will translate, which comes from time/hrs logged not any magic "the best" gear. Great gear has advantages like getting to a final result faster...

Andrew Scheps also always uses a Universal Audio accelerator and a bevy of the best plugins available. He is a self-described "plugin addict." And when you consider that something like the UA Neve bundle is $1299.00 or the Fab Filter Pro bundle is $739 or the price of the Waves stuff, and on and on... The wicked mixes are conjured via the best possible plugins.

Last edited:
Andrew Scheps also always uses a Universal Audio accelerator and a bevy of the best plugins available. He is a self-described "plugin addict." And when you consider that something like the UA Neve bundle is $1299.00 or the Fab Filter Pro bundle $739 or the price Waves stuff and on and on... The wicked mixes are conjured via the best possible plugins.

There are huge debates about this on the internet so I won't get involved in this anymore and derail the thread other than to say if you truly believe it's gear, then buy all that stuff and see what happens to your mixes. I've seen pros mix with stock plugins many times to show how easily and effectively it can be done. The music industry wants home recorders to believe that next plugin is the magic fairy dust that will suddenly make you a great engineer.

Nothing will make up for tens of thousands of hours logged. And that's what all the people being mentioned have over home recorders.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit. But hours/labor/knowledge > plugins.

... Sorry to derail the thread a bit. But hours/labor/knowledge > plugins.

I agree. I think andrushkiwt has the skills. His mixes are very close. They just need to be bigger and more dimensional to be on par with the stuff the Tchad Blake's of the world are putting out. Also, this stuff really isn't off topic because this is the discussion that was requested in the OP.

You can post away, I don't mind. I'm working so I don't have time to read everything about scheps but I will when I have time off next week. I guess I'm conflicted when I hear comments about erratic drums and choppy timing but then saying I have great production and skills with the mix...in my opinion, its meaningless if you cant do the basis, like a good drum foundation. I did send it to a pro drummer friend for his hojest opinion on the drums and he didn't mind anything other than the cliche fill I use. But he says that about everybody. You guys made me think the drums arw horrendous and clearly a beginners work...so I'm conflicted with some of the positive comments. I guess I don't know where I stand to the listener so I feel I need to dig deeper to get a better understanding. Oh well got to get back to work. Thnx for participating in the thread.

Is HeavyMusic actually banned? I hope it's a bit of jocularity as he's tried to be reasonable in this thread as has Lt Bob for that matter. Both tried to explain something that's complex and requires a bit of subjectivity as well as perspective to recognize let alone understand.
"I did send it to a pro drummer friend for his hojest opinion on the drums and he didn't mind anything other than the cliche fill I use. But he says that about everybody." This suggests the obvious: even your friends won't tell you because, andrushkiwt, you don't have the wherewithall to accept and accommodate constructive criticism.

from Bob, the whole entire drum portion is worthless,
I did NOT say that at all ...... I didn't even almost say that ........ I didn't come close to saying that.
i said the 'feel' issue was subtle .... that it was a slight thing but I could hear it. And I said it was minor ......

If anyone cares at all they can look at my comments and NOWHERE did I say the drum track was worthless or even bad ...... I was VERY clear that it was a minor issue but I could hear it.

I did not say a single time that the drums were bad ....... I said I felt they could be better and that's all I said.

Quote me a single statement where I said ANYTHING about the drums being bad or worthless .
You can't because it's not there.

So are you really so insecure that someone saying something has some subtle minor issues is saying that it's worthless?

That's all you man ...... I didn't say it at all and I can't help it if you imagined it.

You're just so insecure that if someone says they think something can be better, you interpret that as them saying it's worthless.

And then you're gonna quote me as saying something I didn't say ...... that's not ok because some people will read your FALSE quote and not bother to look back and see you're lying about what I said.

As I said ..... don't be so thin-skinned that you freak out if anyone says something isn't perfect.

Or don't ..... I'll certainly not waste my time responding to any of your stuff again.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm pulling teeth in order to get a deeper understanding of what someone means or where they are coming from.
Well.... this is kind of an unreasonable expectation. It's an internet forum, not a paid service. If you're expecting detailed critiques and suggestions, you've come to the wrong place. You've been here long enough to know that. You're lucky to get more than just a "great job" in feedback. Most people don't have the time, energy, knowledge, experience or motivation to give detailed critiques. I quit doing it a year or so ago. Seriously, the attitude you showed in this thread reminds so much of Rami. Good job there. lol

It seems, from Bob, the whole entire drum portion is worthless,
This makes me even wonder if you read his post. If someone says the "feel" isn't right, he is not going to be able to give you numbers and parameters. He is listening on the whole and gave a global observation. Feel is unquantifiable. Bob said it was a very minor thing and not noticeable. I didn't notice it, but I don't have the ear that he has.

So, just relax a little....

Overall, I thought the song was good. I heard some pitchiness in the vocals. Nothing to be concerned about.

I'm not hearing any pitchiness. I listened closely for nothing but that for two verses and didn't hear anything pitchy.

It took a real long time for things to kick in. To me, I'd get to the ear candy sooner.

The drums weren't standard. But I thought they were cool. Like you conjured up Keith Moon and put him in a pop/rock band.

I liked the bass and clean guitars. The distorted have metal-level gain dialed in. I personally tend to prefer a little less gain. They kind of wash to the background and don't have much chug. But lot's of people like the tone you dialed in.

All in all, it's excellent as always.

I'm not hearing any pitchiness. I listened closely for nothing but that for two verses and didn't hear anything pitchy.

It took a real long time for things to kick in. To me, I'd get to the ear candy sooner.

The drums weren't standard. But I thought they were cool. Like you conjured up Keith Moon and put him in a pop/rock band.

I liked the bass and clean guitars. The distorted have metal-level gain dialed in. I personally tend to prefer a little less gain. They kind of wash to the background and don't have much chug. But lot's of people like the tone you dialed in.

All in all, it's excellent as always.

andrushkiwt I sent ya a pm as well. Im gonna hop on TripleMs observation here too. You mentioned doing less drastic eq notches on the guitar tone. The gain sounds a bit gritty to me. Sorta like the gain structure of a mesa hi gain amp like a triple rec. they have an odd grainy fizzle that is really seperate from the rest of the tone.

I hear a little of that in the distorted guiars. It doesnt really bother me, but i think a smoother tone that maybe has a little more low-mid emphasis and smooth high end might help get the guitar/bass/drums glue better and make that chorus pop. This might be a different amp model. Whenever ive had a tone where its the gain structure that has the element i dont like, i cant fix it with eq without killing the tone. Different Cab impulse might help, but thats really just an eq curve too.

Is HeavyMusic actually banned? I hope it's a bit of jocularity as he's tried to be reasonable in this thread....

Not to stick my nose in others business, but if he is, that is regarding another thread yesterday, not this one.

This suggests the obvious: even your friends won't tell you because, andrushkiwt, you don't have the wherewithall to accept and accommodate constructive criticism.

Untrue, I get very detailed feedback on the drums from him every time I ask. We spoke for a short time about this tune last evening, and he is the one person who will and has always been very honest about his perceptions of the music. He is very picky and very precise with his suggestions. I'm comfortable where it stands, thanks.

You're just so insecure that if someone says they think something can be better, you interpret that as them saying it's worthless.

I suppose here is where you have a good point. This is somewhat true, only if I feel I'm not understanding exactly what/where the problem is. You got me there. To reset, it was a shocker, I wasn't expecting that to be an issue, threw me off guard, needed more info, asked around, and I feel resolved. Apologies if I upset you and I surely don't want to deter you from listening/commenting in the future. Thanks Bob

The drums weren't standard. But I thought they were cool.

Thanks 3M. When the first comment about some instrument is somewhat negative, I automatically think everyone will think the same and that there's an objective "wrongness" to it/them. It takes me a little time to realize most of this is opinion. I sometimes take others opinions for fact, although there is weight in what Bob says. Thanks for sticking around and listening/commenting.

Sorta like the gain structure of a mesa hi gain amp like a triple rec. they have an odd grainy fizzle that is really seperate from the rest of the tone.

Thanks for sticking around and commenting. Unfortunately, you got to see the sensitive side of my ability with feedback/opinions. THanks for sticking around.

It was indeed a Dual Rec for the heavy set of guitars. There were a few big notches, yes. That's because I can't seem to get the exact freq range to cut on the amp head where it builds. That's usually 3.5khz. The treble or presence knobs affect too wide of a range on the guitars and I find I need to use an EQ cut instead. Maybe different cabs would help.

Pm'd ya back

Last edited:
Wow very nice, Man!! I'm a new follower on your Sound Cloud. Hey, I'm new on homerecording.com. Is there somewhere to see or read about your studio? Or do I just need to pick pieces out of different posts? Thanks

Back