An Angel Said - alternative rock

I def stepped back on the loudest notes. My room isn't ideal, like most of ours probably, and there's a nasty resonance when I sing loud and close, so I back off a few inches. This is the first track I recorded where I stood at least 8" away the entire time. The louder parts about 12-16". The "ahhhhhhhhh" after the first verse, in the background, was from about 3 feet out.

I need a nice room to record these vox, they'd be so much better. I should also update my current pic in the "show me your studio" thread so you can see where I have the mic positioned. It's in the damn closet now, but not IN-IN the closet. More like, the closet door is open and the mic is facing out. It looks like i'm singing to a coat, as the mic is in front of clothes, but facing outwards to the room.

Ah. Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was actual technique or post FX.

I listened quickly earlier today. I think the instrument(s) - guitars - in the early part of the song could come up a bit in volume (or vocals down).
Reading all the comments about how you are recording your vocals - if you find you are overdriving your mic diaphragm with your loudest singing (that's why you back off), set your pop filter at that distance. Keep your mouth at the same distance from the filter whether you're singing soft or loud - this is not a live performance. You can adjust the volumes later with automation (then a little compression) but this way you will be more consistent with your recorded sound.

I listened quickly earlier today. I think the instrument(s) - guitars - in the early part of the song could come up a bit in volume (or vocals down).
Reading all the comments about how you are recording your vocals - if you find you are overdriving your mic diaphragm with your loudest singing (that's why you back off), set your pop filter at that distance. Keep your mouth at the same distance from the filter whether you're singing soft or loud - this is not a live performance. You can adjust the volumes later with automation (then a little compression) but this way you will be more consistent with your recorded sound.

Then for a quiet verse and loud vocal, I have no choice but to record it as a separate take. I wouldn't be able to move the filter out in time.

I wouldn't say I'm overdriving it...it isn't distorted or clipping, and it's not even the loudest parts necessarily, there's just a nasty resonance in a small range of freq's. That 1khz area, below and above it. And then when I record doubles (like most of my choruses) it sounds even worse because they pile on into what sounds like cancelation or phase issues. But only on those parts of the word where it resonates and only briefly.

Next time I record, I'll send or upload a clip of that section of the raw vocal and see what everyone thinks.

And yeah, I do manually edit volumes. Every line. Sometimes individual words. If I missed one here, it was probably oversight. I've also tried using a compressor to act only on 750-2.5, as well. Not this time, but last track

Back