Am I Getting Any Better?

Hey man.
This sounds great. Really authentic.
Was it a genuine live recording? Tell us about the setup and process.
Part of me wants the vocal to sound more upfront and drier but that'd be less in keeping with the live room sound so take it or leave it.

The singer got a little ahead of time around 0:46 or so and I feel like the low end could be a good bit stronger but other than that I just enjoyed listening.

Musician ship seems really good. Nothing bad stands out to me.
Thanks for sharing.

This is a really good recording and mix. My only comment is if you can bring the bass up.

Otherwise, really nice and honest sounding. Good job.

Music sounds real good. All of it seems in the same space with a lot of air. Vocals do seem to be in a different space though.

Hey man.
This sounds great. Really authentic.
Was it a genuine live recording? Tell us about the setup and process.
Part of me wants the vocal to sound more upfront and drier but that'd be less in keeping with the live room sound so take it or leave it.

The singer got a little ahead of time around 0:46 or so and I feel like the low end could be a good bit stronger but other than that I just enjoyed listening.

Musician ship seems really good. Nothing bad stands out to me.
Thanks for sharing.

Only the vocal is live. The instrument tracks were created using band-in-a-box real tracks. I created the song and arrangement in biab and then import a wav for each track to Audacity for mixing and processing. I then convert to mp3 and send it to my kindle as a backing track. I then recorded the vocals with a Tascam DR-05 and then it goes to Audacity for final processing and mixing with the other tracks. I put some compression and eq on the vocals and a little reverb on the inst. tracks. Added a little compression and eq to the final mix. Still having trouble getting the vocal to sit in the mix but hopefully I'll figure out how to do that.

Everybody above had it down really well...music is great, sounds live, but the vocals seem in their own separate space, like they were recorded at a different time and place. Awesome track, nevertheless. I'd really like to hear more of this stuff. errr, one note rings outta tune at 2:45. no biggie though

Only the vocal is live. The instrument tracks were created using band-in-a-box real tracks. I created the song and arrangement in biab and then import a wav for each track to Audacity for mixing and processing. I then convert to mp3 and send it to my kindle as a backing track. I then recorded the vocals with a Tascam DR-05 and then it goes to Audacity for final processing and mixing with the other tracks. I put some compression and eq on the vocals and a little reverb on the inst. tracks. Added a little compression and eq to the final mix. Still having trouble getting the vocal to sit in the mix but hopefully I'll figure out how to do that.

So, I need to look into this band in a box. And here I thought you were playing all the instruments. Is it royalty free?

Instruments are spot on, i'd de-ess those vocals thought ... Some people said they sound in a different space too, that's right i'd check back the spacing of vocals vs instruments

Holy crap dude! You definitely got me!
No need to apologise - That backing sounds great!

I take it it's compiled from pre-recorded loops then, rather than note by note composition?

How did you use the DR05? built in mics in stereo mode?
I'd be inclined to try mono and closer to the mic (guess from the sound) or in a more dampened sounding environment.
You'll get more body that way, if that's what you want.

Holy crap dude! You definitely got me!
No need to apologise - That backing sounds great!

I take it it's compiled from pre-recorded loops then, rather than note by note composition?

How did you use the DR05? built in mics in stereo mode?
I'd be inclined to try mono and closer to the mic (guess from the sound) or in a more dampened sounding environment.
You'll get more body that way, if that's what you want.

Yeah, real tracks are pre-recorded chord progressions by studio musicians. Program users can create their own real tracks as well. I recorded the vocal in stereo with the built-in mics. I'll try it in a different environment next time. Thanks for the input.

Bluegrass should be recorded on analog gear. My opinion, of course. I just find the coldness of digital doesn't suit it. But I like the banjo playing. The voice is "okay". The instrumental part at 1:00 or so is a bit too loud. I'd lower it 1db. The fiddle is awesome. Overall this is sweet, but I'd try to match genre and gear better and probably redo the vocal with some more passion -- it almost sounds like you are trying to be quiet.

Bluegrass should be recorded on analog gear. My opinion, of course. I just find the coldness of digital doesn't suit it. But I like the banjo playing. The voice is "okay". The instrumental part at 1:00 or so is a bit too loud. I'd lower it 1db. The fiddle is awesome. Overall this is sweet, but I'd try to match genre and gear better and probably redo the vocal with some more passion -- it almost sounds like you are trying to be quiet.

I agree about the coldness of digital. Bluegrass should be honest and down-to-earth music from the heart and should be natural. Part of me feels it is sacrilegious to create digital bluegrass, but as a musician (banjo) I could never come close to the professional quality of these tracks. As for the vocal, I am not a great singer and I'm in the process of learning home recording and mixing so I am just experimenting. I have some friends who are awesome vocalists and songwriters and I hope to record their vocals and songs with some of my tracks. Thanks for the feedback.

Back